LONDON Welsh head coach Justin Burnell moved quickly to sign Lachlan McCaffrey after the back row forward impressed against his side just a fortnight ago.
The Exiles completed the capture of the 24-year-old after he made his mark in the Singapore 10s last month.
McCaffrey joins Welsh from Australian side Brumbies.
He has played in the Super 15 with Western Force and the Waratahs, and featured against the British and Irish Lions on their Tour of Australia in 2013.
A former Under 20 international, McCaffrey helped Australia reach the final of the 2010 IRB Junior World Championship in Argentina, as well as representing his country at schoolboy level.
In 2009, he was the inaugural Shute Shield rookie of the year and two seasons later was a member of the Eastwood team which defeated Sydney University 19-16 in the Shute Shield grand final – a side captained by former Exile Mitch Lees.
Burnell said: “Lachlan caught our attention at the Cub 10s in Singapore when he was part of the Brumbies squad.
“I had the opportunity to meet him first hand, have a look at him play, and he really impressed me.
“He’s got an excellent and proven pedigree in Super 15 rugby and is a typical ball-playing Australian forward – he’s got a brilliant skill set.
“It’s another massive statement by London Welsh in our bid to compete in the Aviva Premiership next season.”
Welsh open their Premiership campaign with a home match against Exeter Chiefs on September 7.
Latest Sport news
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four
- FOOTBALL: Cumnor Minors beat Tower Hill on penalties in Under 15 KO Cup
- FOOTBALL: Andy McCabe's double settles it for Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire Junior Shield
- FOOTBALL: Another Kayleigh Tubb treble leads super Oxford City Under 12s on a six-goal spree
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- UPDATES - Southend United v Oxford United
- Oxford United reduce ticket prices for Emirates FA Cup replay