LONDON Welsh head coach Justin Burnell moved quickly to sign Lachlan McCaffrey after the back row forward impressed against his side just a fortnight ago.
The Exiles completed the capture of the 24-year-old after he made his mark in the Singapore 10s last month.
McCaffrey joins Welsh from Australian side Brumbies.
He has played in the Super 15 with Western Force and the Waratahs, and featured against the British and Irish Lions on their Tour of Australia in 2013.
A former Under 20 international, McCaffrey helped Australia reach the final of the 2010 IRB Junior World Championship in Argentina, as well as representing his country at schoolboy level.
In 2009, he was the inaugural Shute Shield rookie of the year and two seasons later was a member of the Eastwood team which defeated Sydney University 19-16 in the Shute Shield grand final – a side captained by former Exile Mitch Lees.
Burnell said: “Lachlan caught our attention at the Cub 10s in Singapore when he was part of the Brumbies squad.
“I had the opportunity to meet him first hand, have a look at him play, and he really impressed me.
“He’s got an excellent and proven pedigree in Super 15 rugby and is a typical ball-playing Australian forward – he’s got a brilliant skill set.
“It’s another massive statement by London Welsh in our bid to compete in the Aviva Premiership next season.”
Welsh open their Premiership campaign with a home match against Exeter Chiefs on September 7.
Latest Sport news
- Charlton Athletic 0, Oxford United 1 (McAleny 11)
- UPDATES - Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic
- Michael Appleton: We must be 'clever' to solve Oxford United's selection jigsaw
- FOOTBALL: Steve Roberts strikes twice as Heyford Athletic beat Cropredy
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- RUGBY UNION: Second-half show guides leaders Chinnor to vital victory as Henley Hawks also triumph
- HOCKEY: Lucy Stewart’s super double secures comeback victory for Oxford Hawks
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins complete double over Banbury, while Witney and Grove also taste victory
- DARTS: Peachcroft make their class tell to sink Kings Arms in Oxford League