KINGSTONE PRESS CHAMPIONSHIP ONE
OXFORD RL head coach Tony Benson has warned they cannot afford another slow start at home to second-placed Oldham Roughyeds on Sunday (3).
The Lancastrians come to Iffley Road having won six of their last seven matches, while Oxford have lost their last five.
Benson said: “Oldham are a very experienced team with some really good players, so we will need to be on our guard on Sunday.
“We cannot afford to start slowly like we have the last couple of games otherwise they will punish us.”
“In the last two weeks, we just haven’t had the ball and spent too much time defending our line and you are never going to win a game like that.”
Oxford captain Alex Thompson, who faces his old team, said: “We have all been disappointed with our performances over the last few weeks and know we are a much better side than our performances have shown.
“Sunday gives us a chance to put this right and we have been working hard in training to tidy up the areas that we need to work on.”
Prop Dave Ellison should return after missing the defeat to Gloucestershire All Golds due to personal commitments.
Benson will give late checks to Tommy Connick and Valu Bentley (knee).
Chris Clarke (rib) definitely misses out, along with Luke Evans (shoulder) and Matty Hadden, who has returned home to Ireland for the short term due to personal issues.
Oxford are calling the match “services day” and the RAF and the police will have stands.
All serving personnel and their families can watch the game for half-price with an official ID/pass.
Oxford RL squad: Baird, Benson, Bentley, Blaney, Briggs, Brooker, Connick, Crabtree, Davies, Ellison, Hayles, Hoggins, J Morris, S Morris, Mulkeen, Osborn, Rowland, Rice, Sharratt, Temata, Thompson, Newton, Winfield.
Latest Sport news
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Chris Maguire hails 'remarkable' away support as Oxford United beat Carlisle
- Oxford United keeper Benji Buchel so thankful to Danny Hylton for goalline clearance