Oxford Cavaliers picked up their second win in a row in Conference League South to move up to third after seeing off lowly Bristol Sonics 44-18 at Oxford RFC.
The home side broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when stand-off Andy Winfield ghosted through untouched to score under the posts, converting his own try for a 6-0 lead.
The Sonics quickly replied with a converted try of their own and defences dominated until the 35th minute when Ed Vickers crashed over and Winfield added the extras to make it 12-6.
Straight from the restart, a weaving run from scrum half Wes Newton ended with a try next to the posts, Winfield converting to put Cavaliers 18-6 clear at the break.
An early second-half try from Vickers, converted by Winfield, put Cavaliers further ahead, but Sonics stayed in touch with a converted try.
Cavaliers were soon back on the front foot as Alex Wright went over from ten metres after a quick tap penalty. Winfield converted to make the score to 30-12.
The pressure on the Bristol side’s defensive effort took its toll in the closing stages with Cavaliers running in three quick tries from James Bovett, Rich White and Ruari Lynch to put the game out of reach at 44-12. The Sonics had the final say with a consolation try making the final score 44-18.
Mike Gaston, Ryan Goodman and Luke Williamson went over for their tries, all converted by Dom Swann.
* Oxford Cavaliers A lost 40-6 at home to Cheltenham Old Patesians in the West of England Premier League.
Latest Sport news
- SWIMMING: Emily Nisbet wins medals in Scottish Championships
- ANGLING: Ian Young wins Oxford Summer League on low-scoring day
- MARTIAL ARTS: Katie Franks lands three world titles
- MOTORVRACING: Valtteri Bottas eyes strong showing for Williams in Germany
- CRICKET: Horspath youngsters make it a hat-trick of titles
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Women hit by double T20 defeat
- CRICKET: Jack Wilkins takes six wickets in Oxfordshire 2nd victory
- CRICKET: Archie Spittles leads the way as Oxfordshire Under 17s storm to win
- CRICKET: Sam Mendes stars as Oxfordshire Over 50s B advance
- Oxford United thought West Brom rising star Tyler Roberts would be out of their league – Fazackerley