Oxford RL overcame South Wales Scorpions 40-24 at Iffley Road to claim their fourth Kingstone Press Championship 1 victory of the season, moving them up to fifth in the table.
Captain Alex Thompson led the way with two of their six tries while Sean Morris, Callum Mulkeen, Jimmy Rowland and Matty Hadden also went over. Rowland landed four conversions and Tommy Connick two.
For the bottom-of-the-table visitors, Connor Farrar notched a hat-trick of tries and Mathew Wilcox also touched down, all four of them converted by Paul Emmanuelli.
South Wales looked the more impressive side early on, but Oxford came good in the end, putting last week’s defeat away to third-placed Oldham firmly behind them.
Scorpions got off to a flier with a great try from Wales Scarlet Farrar, but Thompson powered over for Oxford in reply.
Straight from the restart, the visitors added to their tally with Farrar’s second try. Oxford responded with two more tries of their own, Morris and Mulkeen crossing from close range to increase the home side’s lead.
The dry, sunny conditions meant Oxford were able to pass the ball around with freedom and more pressure ended with Rowland evading the attentions of two defenders to go over for Oxford’s fourth try.
Hadden got on the scoresheet when he picked up a loose ball inside the Scorpions ten-metre line and sprinted over to increase Oxford’s advantage.
Morris gave the Oxford fans more to cheer about when he broke clear before exchanging passes with Ryan McGold-rick to go over.
A South Wales comeback looked to be on the cards when Farrar bundled his way over for his third try and Matthew Wilcox also touched down for the visitors.
But it was Oxford who had the last word as Thompson collected the ball and ran 20 metres to score, sending the Scorpions home without a losing bonus point.
Oxford: Morris, Mulkeen, McGoldrick, Brooker, Briggs, Rowland, Connick, Davies, Thompson, Hadden, Baird, Hoggins, Rice. Subs: Clarke, Evans, Blaney, Sharratt. Referee: G Hewer.
Latest Sport news
- Millwall 0, Oxford United 3 (McAleny 6 & 8, Ruffels 71)
- UPDATES - Millwall v Oxford United
- Joe Rothwell hoping to silence Millwall fans in Oxford United's last away match of season
- Oxford United must be ready to roll up sleeves and battle for everything at Millwall, says boss Michael Appleton
- SHOW JUMPING: Bicester-based girls shine in leading pony show
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We've enjoyed some great moments on our away days this season
- MOTORSPORT: Oxford's Matt Chapman delighted to score points on his debut
- MOTORSPORT: KTM are on learning curve in United States admits Oxfordshire's Bradley Smith
- BILLIARDS: Lewis Moss & Connor Jones win pairs final
- ANGLING: Steve Johnson finds light in Tunnel