Appleton: We lacked a cutting edge

Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton takes his seat in the dug-out alongside assistant Derek Fazackerley before Saturday’s 1-0 defeat against Burton on the opening day of the Sky Bet League Two season

Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton takes his seat in the dug-out alongside assistant Derek Fazackerley before Saturday’s 1-0 defeat against Burton on the opening day of the Sky Bet League Two season

First published in U's News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

MICHAEL Appleton urged his Oxford United side to show more adventure going forward after they went down to a 1-0 opening day defeat at home to Burton Albion.

The hosts had the majority of possession and used it well at times, but created few clear-cut goalscoring opportunities.

Burton made the most of their best chance, when Lucas Akins scored just before half-time, and the visitors defended stoutly after the break to take maximum points in the Sky Bet League Two clash.

Appleton, United’s head coach, said: “I suppose the only disappointment for myself is I want the players to be a little bit braver around the edge of the box and take a few more risks.

“We turned down a couple of shooting opportunities or chances to get the ball into the box.”

And although the U’s boss is looking to bring in new faces up front before the transfer window closes on September 1, he wants to see more from his existing attacking options.

“The players that are in the side to create or give us that bit of magic in and around the box. They’re the ones that have got to step up to the plate,” he said.

“It’s dead simple. They all know their roles, I’ve made that very clear and they will be accountable, as I will, when we make poor decisions.”

The game’s main talking point surrounded Michael Raynes playing on after falling heavily on his head.

Shortly afterwards, the centre back was unable to halt Stuart Beavon running into the box and setting up Akins for the winner.

Appleton, who swiftly replaced Raynes with Johnny Mullins, admitted it was a difficult decision.

He said: “If he had a fresh head and a clear mind then (the goal) might not have happened.

“But in the build-up to the incident the ball didn’t go out of play, so we couldn’t have done anything anyway.”

He added: “I spoke to Andy (Proctor, physio) and he said he (Raynes) didn’t feel great. But he’s a centre half and they’re made of strong stuff.

“At the end of the day it was one of those where I don’t think he was knocked out, so it wasn’t one of these controversial concussions.

“It was just a player who wanted to stay on and if there’s no physical cut, graze or whatever it might be it’s difficult to say no to them.”

Despite the result, Appleton felt there were positive signs to take from the game.

He said: “There were a lot of encouraging things to come out of it.

“I thought we moved the ball really well and we did look a good side.

“We are just lacking a cutting edge at the minute.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Latest United news:

Oxford United look to spoil Hartlepool's party

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

Andy Whing says Oxford United should expect to beat Hartlepool United this afternoon despite the Football League’s bottom club appointing a new manager this week.

Oxford United boss Michael Appleton is weighing up his striking options

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

Michael Appleton’s main selection decision for Oxford United today is picking who leads the line against Hartlepool.

Brian Howard's future at Oxford United up in the air

Oxford Mail:

2:00pm Friday 19th December 2014

BRIAN Howard’s situation at Oxford United is unclear after head coach Michael Appleton admitted he did not know whether the midfielder would be offered an extension to his short-term contract.

Ashby's Oxford United debut is a matter of timing - Appleton

Oxford Mail:

12:00pm Friday 19th December 2014

JOSH Ashby is good enough to play in Oxford United’s side right now, but the teenager knows his time will come, according to head coach Michael Appleton.

Worried Hartlepool boss compares Oxford United to Real Madrid after scouting trip

Oxford Mail:

9:40am Friday 19th December 2014

RONNIE Moore is braced for a tough first game in charge of Hartlepool United after comparing opponents Oxford United to Real Madrid.

'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Latest United news:

Oxford United look to spoil Hartlepool's party

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

Andy Whing says Oxford United should expect to beat Hartlepool United this afternoon despite the Football League’s bottom club appointing a new manager this week.

Oxford United boss Michael Appleton is weighing up his striking options

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

Michael Appleton’s main selection decision for Oxford United today is picking who leads the line against Hartlepool.

Brian Howard's future at Oxford United up in the air

Oxford Mail:

2:00pm Friday 19th December 2014

BRIAN Howard’s situation at Oxford United is unclear after head coach Michael Appleton admitted he did not know whether the midfielder would be offered an extension to his short-term contract.

Ashby's Oxford United debut is a matter of timing - Appleton

Oxford Mail:

12:00pm Friday 19th December 2014

JOSH Ashby is good enough to play in Oxford United’s side right now, but the teenager knows his time will come, according to head coach Michael Appleton.

Worried Hartlepool boss compares Oxford United to Real Madrid after scouting trip

Oxford Mail:

9:40am Friday 19th December 2014

RONNIE Moore is braced for a tough first game in charge of Hartlepool United after comparing opponents Oxford United to Real Madrid.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:21am Mon 11 Aug 14

Beau champ mummy says...

What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton
What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton Beau champ mummy
  • Score: -18

2:31pm Mon 11 Aug 14

howardl says...

Oh go away
Oh go away howardl
  • Score: 8

4:11pm Mon 11 Aug 14

OX4-OUFC says...

Beau champ mummy wrote:
What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton
You'll get over the last 4 consecutive Swindon defeats against OUFC one day I guess. You must have a very interesting life in Swindon ! Exactly how obsessed with all things Oxford are you ? How interesting and entertaining your endless moronic quotes must be to YOU !
[quote][p][bold]Beau champ mummy[/bold] wrote: What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton[/p][/quote]You'll get over the last 4 consecutive Swindon defeats against OUFC one day I guess. You must have a very interesting life in Swindon ! Exactly how obsessed with all things Oxford are you ? How interesting and entertaining your endless moronic quotes must be to YOU ! OX4-OUFC
  • Score: 6

7:41pm Mon 11 Aug 14

rightendofa420 says...

OX4-OUFC wrote:
Beau champ mummy wrote:
What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton
You'll get over the last 4 consecutive Swindon defeats against OUFC one day I guess. You must have a very interesting life in Swindon ! Exactly how obsessed with all things Oxford are you ? How interesting and entertaining your endless moronic quotes must be to YOU !
Not obsessed at all, you simply keep us entertained.
[quote][p][bold]OX4-OUFC[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beau champ mummy[/bold] wrote: What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton[/p][/quote]You'll get over the last 4 consecutive Swindon defeats against OUFC one day I guess. You must have a very interesting life in Swindon ! Exactly how obsessed with all things Oxford are you ? How interesting and entertaining your endless moronic quotes must be to YOU ![/p][/quote]Not obsessed at all, you simply keep us entertained. rightendofa420
  • Score: -1

8:57pm Mon 11 Aug 14

oldun says...

Wright, Raynes, Potter, Rose , Wing, Hunt and certainly Newey - like Constable they are not third flight players . Just as well that we are not up at that lofty level . Eight better players needed soon
Wright, Raynes, Potter, Rose , Wing, Hunt and certainly Newey - like Constable they are not third flight players . Just as well that we are not up at that lofty level . Eight better players needed soon oldun
  • Score: -1

12:23am Tue 12 Aug 14

OX4-OUFC says...

rightendofa420 wrote:
OX4-OUFC wrote:
Beau champ mummy wrote:
What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton
You'll get over the last 4 consecutive Swindon defeats against OUFC one day I guess. You must have a very interesting life in Swindon ! Exactly how obsessed with all things Oxford are you ? How interesting and entertaining your endless moronic quotes must be to YOU !
Not obsessed at all, you simply keep us entertained.
Thank you for the entertainment over the past 13 years since our last defeat to you in 2001 ! Thanks also for the 13 times you've only ever managed to beat Oxford since we entered the league..... and we've now clocked up 24 victories against you....very entertaining indeed...no wonder you're always posting on our site !
[quote][p][bold]rightendofa420[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OX4-OUFC[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beau champ mummy[/bold] wrote: What utter tosh u have had pre season and brought in ur own players and only now u can see think it might be time to get a taxi appleton[/p][/quote]You'll get over the last 4 consecutive Swindon defeats against OUFC one day I guess. You must have a very interesting life in Swindon ! Exactly how obsessed with all things Oxford are you ? How interesting and entertaining your endless moronic quotes must be to YOU ![/p][/quote]Not obsessed at all, you simply keep us entertained.[/p][/quote]Thank you for the entertainment over the past 13 years since our last defeat to you in 2001 ! Thanks also for the 13 times you've only ever managed to beat Oxford since we entered the league..... and we've now clocked up 24 victories against you....very entertaining indeed...no wonder you're always posting on our site ! OX4-OUFC
  • Score: 3

2:29pm Tue 12 Aug 14

OX3 says...

Another season full of excuses appleton out
Another season full of excuses appleton out OX3
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree