At least one new face is expected at Oxford United training this morning as Michael Appleton looks to strengthen ahead of tomorrow’s home friendly with Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The U’s were closing in on moves for a midfielder and a defender over the weekend and are hoping to tie up deals as soon as possible.
Appleton, who is also looking to significantly strengthen his forward line, was confident on Saturday he would be able to work with at least one in training today.
The U’s head coach said: “As far as I’m concerned, come training Monday morning we should have one new face and hopefully two.
“The two that we expect are very key to what we want to do.
“Beyond that obviously we have still got a bit of time, but there’s still a lot of work to do, especially at the top end of the pitch.”
Appleton was speaking after Saturday’s excellent 3-0 win against Fulham’s development side in a behind-closed-doors game at Roman Way.
Danny Hylton, Tom Newey and Jon Meades were all on target in an impressive first-half performance.
Hylton and substitute Josh Shama came close to extending the lead after the break, while at the other end goalkeepers George Long and Max Crocombe, who played 45 minutes each, were rarely stretched.
Appleton said: “I think one of the most pleasing things was how organised we were.
“At the minute I’m asking the players questions and they seem to be answering.”
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory against Bury
- Hat-trick hero Conor McAleny delighted to send Oxford United to Wembley on a high
- Oxford United fans breathe sigh of relief as goalkeeper Simon Eastwood plays on
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy's double puts Berinsfield in North Berks League Cup final
- FOOTBALL: Liam Godin hits four-timer as KEA reach Junior Shield final
- FOOTBALL: Olly Bush strikes a brace to lead Carterton into the last four
- FOOTBALL: Spot-on Jamie Cook seals dramatic win for North Leigh
- GIRLS FOOTBALL: Oxford City Under 13s clinch league title
- FOOTBALL: Harry Benfield guides Abingdon Youth to Under 15 KO Trophy glory
- FOOTBALL: Kyle Chester in top form as Carterton beat Didcot Town Youth Red