OXFORD United are off the bottom of the FA Women’s Super League 2 table after a 2-1 win at Durham secured a first success of the season, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
The U’s were the dominant force throughout, but had to come from behind after Emily Scott fired the hosts in front.
But a spectacular Kayleigh Hines effort and a late strike from Jemma Connor-Iommi gave United a vital victory.
Oxford started the game on the front foot, but found themselves behind against the run of play when Scott found space in the box to fire into the roof of the net.
The goal left United reeling, but they were level before the break after Hines spotted goalkeeper Danielle Hill off her line and struck a beautiful floated equaliser from 40 yards.
Rosie Young went close to restoring the home side’s advantage in the second half, clipping the top of the bar after breaking quickly on the left.
But it was the U’s who showed the most attacking intent, with substitute Natasha Caswell harshly flagged for offside as she raced clean through on goal.
United did get their deserved winner late in the game, however, as Connor-Iommi’s curling corner was ruled to have crossed the line by the assistant referee.
The victory sees United move off the foot of the table, leapfrogging Durham into ninth place.
Oxford Utd: Lambourne, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Stanley (Caswell 63), Allison, Low (Alexander 60), King (Fellows 74), Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane. Subs not used: Cox, Franklin-Fraiture.
Referee: H Conley.
Latest Sport news
- World Cup warm-up games come second to Oxford United's play-off push - Ryan Ledson
- BAR BILLIARDS: Donnington Club stretch lead with whitewash win
- MOTORSPORT: Anything’s possible this season, says Renault driver Jolyon Palmer
- ROWING: Former Abingdon School pupil Tom Digby adds to his world record tally
- ICE HOCKEY: Lacklustre Oxford City Stars defeated as Milton Keynes Thunder take quick revenge
- AUNT SALLY: Banbury Cricket Club take Eynsham Winter League title in first season
- RUGBY UNION: Henley Hawks fined for breach of RFU agent rules
- ATHLETICS: Hannah Hale breaks Eynsham club record at Bramley 20
- ATHLETICS: Abingdon's Paul Fernandez breaks own record to win 44-mile ultra race in Wales
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's win at Charlton Athletic