Report this comment
  • "Lenegan!!!!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

First published in U's News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

UPDATED: Man charged with 19 crimes against 10 people appears in court after slavery raids

Oxford Mail:

8:14am Saturday 28th March 2015

A 44-YEAR-OLD man has appeared in court this morning charged with 19 offences against 10 people following Thursday's anti-slavery raids.

Surgeries get £6.4m to extend buildings

Oxford Mail: NHS

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

THREE Oxfordshire GP surgeries have been awarded a total of £6.4m to expand.

Child rapist jailed for 18 years after string of brutal attacks

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

A 62-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for 18 years for a brutal campaign of rape that started when his victim was 10 or 11.

Oxford United leave it late on whether O'Dowda starts against Carlisle

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

Michael Appleton will make a late call on his line-up, with a decision to be made on whether Callum O’Dowda is fit to start the crunch home clash with Carlisle United this afternoon.

Body in river is paedophile headteacher + video

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

A PAEDOPHILE due to be sentenced for molesting young boys was the man found dead in the River Thames on Tuesday.

Bollywood’s ‘Tom Cruise’ proves a big hit at Blenheim

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

MOVIE legend Tom Cruise filmed his latest Mission Impossible blockbuster at Blenheim Palace in December.

Get an appointment with the doctor via email or video link

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

VIDEO and email GP appointments will allow people in Oxfordshire to see their doctor at evenings and weekends in a year-long pilot.

Customers welcomed by staff gnomes

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

GNOME matter what they looked like, staff at a Frilford garden centre donned fancy dress to help raise funds for charity.

School head turns away 200 children over lack of places

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

A HEADTEACHER has said a lack of funding forced his secondary school to turn away more than 200 pupils.

Hats the way to do it! Pupils show off bonnets

Oxford Mail:

7:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

A HANDMADE Easter bonnet parade ended in sweet surprise for junior pupils from Rye St Antony School, Headington, who caught a glimpse of the Easter Bunny.

Bus drivers plan to strike in row over pay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Bus Company

7:10am Saturday 28th March 2015

OXFORD bus drivers are planning to go on strike for at least one day and possibly three.

A420 to shut for repairs as embankment starts to slip

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

CONCERNS have been raised about plans to temporarily divert traffic from the A420 Cumnor bypass through nearby villages during roadworks.

Youngsters’ technicolour dream show

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

CHILDREN took to the stage to put on a colourful performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

OAP is finally in the clear after legal battle over dad’s medals

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

PENSIONER Tony Berridge defied his doctor’s orders to clear his name in a Paris court, as a legal battle over his father’s medals took a new turn.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree