Report this comment
  • "The way fk is cosying up to oxvox should be a warning, he's not in the habit of being chummy- unless it means his wealth grows because of it. The key to all these take over talks lies with the stadium and the land surrounding it, occ, oufc and other parties see the potential here to amass profits and build much needed housing, oufc should be wary of thisand the fact they hold an ace card by their leasing of the stasdium."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

First published in U's News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

'I couldn't have done things differently as council leader'

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE former leader of Oxfordshire County Council “holds his hands up” that it failed the victims of the Bullfinch scandal under his watch.

IPCC to consider action against individual staff

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

6:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) will investigate to see if any police officers or staff will be disciplined.

Support groups 'can help tackle abuse problem'

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 5th March 2015

VOLUNTARY organisations have called for the authorities to use them more to help tackle child sexual exploitation in Oxfordshire.

Bullfinch: Picture of abuse is put together piece by piece

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Thursday 5th March 2015

THE Kingfisher Unit was set up to deal with the sexual exploitation of children revealed by Thames Valley Police’s Operation Bullfinch.

Festival voice: Tom Jones to top bill at Cornbury

Oxford Mail:

12:10am Thursday 5th March 2015

CROONER Sir Tom Jones has been named as the big name headliner for this summer's Cornbury Festival.

Pedestrian seriously injured after collision with car used in petrol theft at Heyford Hill

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:38pm Wednesday 4th March 2015

A pedestrian was left with "serious injuries" after being involved in a collision with a thief's car, police said.

MP calls for a public inquiry into failures to protect girls

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CALLS for an independent inquiry into the Bullfinch child abuse scandal and police and social services’ failings were growing last night.

Evidence of gang's organised abuse was ignored for years

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHILD protection authorities feared an organised gang of paedophiles was prostituting vulnerable girls four years before Operation Bullfinch was launched – but nothing was done.

This was an honest review, says Hudspeth

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

THE leader of Oxfordshire County Council said “everyone was open and honest” about the failings exposed by the Serious Case Review.

Campaigner calling for heads to roll

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

A CHILD safety campaigner last night accused Joanna Simons and Sara Thornton of lacking integrity for refusing to take personal responsibility for Oxfordshire County Council and Thames Valley Police’s failings.

County council chief executive says she will not quit early

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

JOANNA Simons has resisted calls for her resignation and refused to say if she would take a pay off when she leaves Oxfordshire County Council.

Chief Constable admits that force failed victims but says it has improved

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHIEF constable Sara Thornton yesterday refused to accept responsibility for the failings within Thames Valley Police.

PM promises action to tackle 'abuse on an industrial scale'

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

MILLIONS of pounds to support hundreds of potential sexual exploitation victims in the county was announced yesterday as Prime Minister David Cameron called for concerted action to tackle the problem.

Asian community leaders tell of shock as scandal unfolded

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

COMMUNITY leaders in East Oxford and Cowley have spoken of their shock at the child sexual exploitation scandal which unfolded on their doorstep.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree