TOMORROW’S meeting with Oxford United is more than just ‘another game’, according to Plymouth Argyle boss Derek Adams.
Before this week the Pilgrims had only spent a few days outside the top two since the end of August.
But a 1-0 Sky Bet League Two defeat at Barnet on Tuesday, saw them leapfrogged on goal difference by United, who beat York City 4-0.
Both sides are clear of the chasing pack and a win at Home Park would keep one of them well clear of the chasing pack.
- Port Vale 2 (Cicilia 54, Taylor pen 59), Oxford United 2 (Dunkley 11, Crowley 19)
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Coventry proved frustrating but we will show our mettle today at Port Vale
- Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley and Tyler Roberts pushing for Oxford United starting roles at Port Vale
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- I expect to score for Oxford United despite left-field switch – Ryan Taylor
It all adds up to a fixture which has more at stake than a typical League Two encounter.
“It’s not just another game,” Adams told the Plymouth Herald.
“It’s two teams that are in the automatic promotion places and vying to stay there.”
He added: “I don’t really want to talk about Oxford. I want to talk about our strengths.
“We can cause them a lot of trouble with the attacking flair we have got.”
Defeat at Barnet was compounded by serious injuries to defender Jordan Forster (jaw) and striker Ryan Brunt (knee).
Adams said: “Ryan has done very well this season.
“He has scored a lot of goals and worked hard for us.
He’s going to be a big miss.”
- The Oxford Mail now has a dedicated Facebook page for all our Oxford United coverage. Like us at facebook.com/oxfordmailoufc/