FOOTBALL: Taylor sews up points with a brace

7:00am Wednesday 26th February 2014

Freeland took advantage of their rivals having a day off by moving into second place in the Oxfordshire Senior League Premier Division with a 3-1 win at Launton Sports.

The visitors started the stronger and led through Danny Taylor’s 20th-minute goal, but should have been clear by half time.

Launton came out fired up for the second half and equalised through Andy Gledhill.

However, Freeland nosed ahead via Taylor again and Simon Calley tied it up.

Dan Fraser scored the winner as Marston Saints beat Oxford University Press 1-0 at home in a tight affair.

He struck four minutes from time when his fierce drive flew into the net.

The game was preceded by a minute’s silence in memory of Derek Measor, who served with both clubs.

Horspath edged to a 2-0 home victory over Chalgrove in difficult conditions.

But they had to wait until the second half to make the breakthrough, thanks to Paul Cooper, who fired in a 20-yard free kick.

The winner came five minutes from time when a deep cross from Simon Evans sailed over the Chalgrove keeper.

Garsington fought back for a 1-1 home draw against Riverside.

Carly Bloomfield broke the deadlock after 34 minutes, a lead Riverside held until the interval.

Garsington continued to battle hard and were rewarded when Steven Simonds comically bundled the ball past Riverside keeper Peter Jones while falling over after latching on to a through ball.

In Division 1, Broughton & North Newington saw off Yarnton 2-0, both goals coming in the second half.

Broughton raised their game in the final period and started to take control, but Yarnton were always a threat on the break.

However, on 71 minutes James Hastie fired in a free kick which was brilliantly finished by Laurence Caro on the volley.

Broughton continued to push forward in search of the vital second goal and on 82 minutes were awarded a penalty which was put away by John Umney.

Kidlington Old Boys returned from their lay-off to defeat North Oxford 2-0 at home.

The opening goal came from a quick break, which ended with Billy Truby rounding the keeper to net.

It was end-to-end stuff until Old Boys were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Kristian Thomas stepped up to curl the ball into the top corner.

Steve Twynham scored twice for Middleton Cheney in their 2-1 success over Charlton United.

His first was a looping header from a whipped in free kick which found the top corner.

And he completed his brace with a cool finish from 15 yards.

The second period only kicked into life when Charlton pulled a goal back through a Craig Barrett header on 75 minutes.

Middleton Cheney Res despatched Mansfield Road Res 3-0 at home in Division 2. The hosts led through Josh Hart after great work by strike partner Steve O’Brien who had earlier hit the bar.

O’Brien scored the second after a mistake by goalkeeper Simon Dickie, whose poor goalkick went straight to the unmarked striker, who hit the ball first time with his left foot into the open goal.

O’Brien sealed it with his second goal to keep his side on top of the table.

Marston Saints Res took the points from their visit to Freeland Res 2-0.

Tom Holmes gave them the lead and Tej Constant walked the ball into the net late on in the game.

Watlington Town Res defended superbly throughout the first half of their 1-0 Division 3 victory against North Oxford Res.

And they dug in during the last 45 minutes and stole the goal they craved when a cross from Keith Woolfson somehow bobbled its way across the penalty area for Connor B’layachi to turn the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper.

Yarnton Res’ ever improving form continued with a 4-1 victory over Charlton Res.

But in the first 20 minutes it was Charlton who looked like scoring, missing a couple of one-on-ones.

Yarnton took the lead through Mark Harris and Jason Condor added a second just before half time. Yarnton extended their lead through Connor Grant and Harris added his second before Charlton pulled one back via a solo effort from Chris Staker.

Eynsham progressed in the Ben Turner Cup with a 3-1 victory over Watlington.

The opening goal was a penalty, won by man of the match Neal Hobday, which Tom McCudden slotted away.

But Watlington fought back and levelled via Pete Ashman.

Parity didn’t last long and McCudden restored Eynsham’s advantage with his second goal of the game.

After the break, Eynsham’s Ross Lewington was sent off for retaliation.

However, Watlington could not break down the ten men and Eynsham added to their tally through Will Morris.

Bletchingdon Res and Horspath Res shared eight goals in the Archie Goddard Cup.

Bletchingdon led from a Tom Williams penalty after five minutes, but Jack Munt quickly equalised. Gareth Davies put Bletchingdon ahead again only for Jon Maskens to square it.

It was tit for tat with Williams and Munt efforts wiping each other out before Hosrpath led for the first time through Maskens. However, they couldn’t hold on and Davies levelled near the end.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory