FOOTBALL: Battling Chadlington give leaders a scare

7:00am Wednesday 22nd January 2014

Chipping Norton Town remain top of the Witney & District FA Premier Division after narrowly beating basement boys Chadlington 2-1.

Rhys Bayliss and Warwick Thompkins scored for the hosts that keep them three points clear. Stephen Hunt replied.

West Witney got back to winning ways as they won 3-1 at Carterton Town A.

Kev Lewis scored twice with Carl Austin getting the other. Jason Lonsdale got one back for the home team.

Charlbury Town stayed in touch with the leaders after a 2-0 win at home to Aston.

Stefan Lang and Tony Bott did the damage.

Wootton’s Kenny Rawlings suffered a broken leg in the Division 3 home game against Minster Lovell.

The score was 2-2 when the game was abandoned due to Rawlings’ injury.

Nathan Beckett scored a hat-trick as Bampton United Res won 6-4 at Eynsham SSC Res.

Despite scoring through Darren Mobey, Matt Walters, Kevin Webb and Lee Parsons, Eynsham were undone by by Beckett’s heroics.

Hayden Boot and Tom Boot added further goals with Gareth Wok finishing the scoring.

Bourton Rovers moved top of Division 1 on goal difference after a 4-1 win at Freeland, thanks to goals from Matt Winter (2), David Gainford and Mark Payne.

The hosts’ replied via an own goal Chris Lawrence bagged a trebleas FC Nomads edged to a 4-3 win at Brize Norton .

Mike Hole completed their tally, with Rob Marsh, Dan Frizzell and Matt Townsend replying.

Carterton Pumas beat Eynsham SSC 2-1 at home, with a double from Carl Naughton. Matt Walker hit back.

Carterton Rangers eased through to the second round of the league’s Junior Shield after a 3-0 home win against Milton.

The goals came from Chris Balfe, Ben Pearce and Sam Giles.

FC Mills will be joining Rangers as they edged past visitors Bampton Town 3-2.

Jake Payne and Arron Robbins scored for Bampton, but a brace from Rob DeBanks and a rare effort from Steve Lyons settled the tie in Mills’ favour.

Finstock eased to a 3-2 home triumph against Witney Royals Res.

Josh White, Lee Travers and Ashley Overton netted for the hosts with Marcus Albert and Richard Sims replying.

Kingham needed extra time as the Division 1 side edged out Division 4 high-fliers Corinthians 7-5 in a thrilling Supplementray Cup first-round encounter.

The sides had been locked at 4-4 at the end of normal time.

It was looking good for Kingham as Luke Herbert fired them into an early lead.

However, Frank Webb struck to send the teams in level at the break.

Ed Webb (2), Gareth Price and Ryan Barrass found the back of the net for Kingham in a second-half goal fest.

Webb completed his four-timer for Corinthians as the thrilling contest went into extra-time.

Although Dan Smith put the underdogs ahead, a double from Price saw him wrap-up his hat-trick and finally crush Corinthians’ hopes of a comeback.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory