Will Hoskins is set to make his Oxford United home debut against Dagenham & Redbridge tomorrow, but head coach Michael Appleton has not yet decided whether the striker will start.
The 28-year-old made an instant impact in his first appearance for the club on Tuesday night, coming off the bench to set up Danny Hylton’s equaliser against West Brom.
He was also influential in extra time, before tucking away a penalty in the Capital One Cup shoot-out, which the U’s eventually lost.
It was Hoskins’s first game for 18 months due to a serious knee injury and although there was no reaction to playing 40 minutes at the Hawthorns, Appleton knows he is not ready to play a whole game.
He said: “It was slightly more than we anticipated, although we can’t argue with the result of what happened.
“He’s come through it fine.
“The one thing for sure is I don’t think he can finish a game, so I have to make that decision whether it’s too much of a risk to start him, or it’s an opportunity for him to start and then come off.
“I’m sure he will be desperate to start the game, but I have to think long-term and make the right decision.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- Michael Appleton fuming as Oxford United pay penalty for missing chances
- Southend United 2 (Leonard 13, Wordsworth pen 74), Oxford United 1 (Hemmings 45+3)
- Michael Appleton happy to see tackles flying in during Oxford United training
- Liam Sercombe: Oxford United looking to take advantage of Southend United's fragile confidence
- We will always have a go, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton