Michael Appleton is looking forward to getting to know his players better after Oxford United arranged a last-minute training camp at Bisham Abbey.
This is the first summer that the U’s have not gone away on a pre-season tour since 2008.
But Appleton, who took over as head coach less than a fortnight ago, was keen to get away and gel with the squad.
United found a vacancy at the national sports centre in Berkshire and will hold a camp between Monday and Thursday next week.
Appleton said: “I love having the opportunity to spend 24-7 with players.
“It’s one thing trying to learn about a player when he comes into training every day, it’s another to see what his interests are off the field, to see what he’s about as a personality.
“You learn so much more about the individual rather than the player.”
The trip means United have cancelled Tuesday’s scheduled development squad fixture at Kettering.
Latest United news:
- Oxford United 1 (Maguire 67), Charlton Athletic 1 (Jackson pen 54)
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Charlton will be a tough test but we’re ready to challenge
- Grateful Marvin Johnson aiming to repay Oxford United fans with goal against Charlton
- Oxford United position will be clearer after big week, says Derek Fazackerley
- Charlton boss believes balanced Oxford United will be tough to defeat