Report this comment
  • "It's the CharlieDonald bid for me."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

First published in Headlines
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

STEWART Donald has this morning told the Oxford Mail he is prepared to back Charlie Methven’s consortium with 'substantial funds' in their takeover bid for Oxford United.

A group of Oxfordshire businessmen led by Methven revealed last week they had held talks with U’s owner Ian Lenagan about a potential deal. This morning it was confirmed a formal offer had been submitted.

They face a rival bid from a consortium led by Mark Ashton and Darryl Eales, who appear to be the frontrunners with rumours emerging that they may even have signed a deal in principle.

However Donald, a lifelong U’s fan whose company, Bridle Insurance, were previously club sponsors, is happy to back Methven’s group.

“I was approached by Charlie Methven about helping them out, and I have agreed to do this,” he said.

“I am a huge Oxford United fan and feel that the club are at a critical stage of their future.”

Donald owns Conference South club Eastleigh, but says his involvement in Oxford will have no bearing on that.

“None whatsoever,” he said.

“It does not impact at all. I am fully committed to Eastleigh and I am in the middle of a project there, maybe not even in the middle.

“I cannot own more than ten per cent of another club because of that involvement, so it will have no impact at all.

“I am doing this because I know my funds will be used for the good of Oxford United Football Club.”

When asked about the amount he would be putting in, Donald replied: "Substantial. That's the best way to put it."

Latest United news:

'The Hobanator' relishing return to England with Oxford United

Oxford Mail:

9:20am Friday 21st November 2014

NOT many players would pick Sky Bet League Two over the Champions League, but Patrick Hoban is relishing the prospect of a second crack at playing football in England.

Oxford United sign Irish striker Hoban but he can't play until January

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 21st November 2014

Patrick Hoban has put pen to paper at Oxford United, but will have to watch for six weeks before his debut.

Dunkley ready to battle for place in Oxford United's side

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 21st November 2014

CHEY Dunkley is unfazed about the prospect of battling with three more experienced centre halves to get into the Oxford United side.

Sam Long's Oxford United future not in doubt despite loan - Appleton

Oxford Mail:

8:20am Friday 21st November 2014

SAM Long remains in Oxford United’s long-term plans, according to head coach Michael Appleton.

Rigg's Oxford United reunion ruled out by suspension

Oxford Mail:

8:20am Friday 21st November 2014

OXFORD United will not have to worry about Sean Rigg returning to haunt them tomorrow after the AFC Wimbledon winger was hit by a ban.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree