Oxford United Women could give a debut to on-loan Liverpool defender Megan Alexander when the bottom-placed side travel to their fellow FA Women’s Super League 2 strugglers Durham tomorrow.
The full back, who has signed a three-month deal from the WSL 1 champions, is drafted straight into a squad for the trip north.
Alexander is relishing the challenge of playing for Les Taylor’s side.
“Firstly, I’d like to say I’m really excited about the move,” said Alexander.
“I really want to progress at the highest level and I see coming to a fantastic club like Oxford United as a great opportunity for me at this point in my career.
“My aim is to help them to perform well in the foreseeable future and hope that I can continue to develop before returning to Liverpool Ladies as an improved player.”
United’s general manager Richard Blackmore added: “We are very pleased to have signed Megan, being a local Oxfordshire player and having played in the WSL 1 this year.
“Megan will add strength to us defensively as a squad.”
Midfielder Louise Fellows could also make her league bow after a long injury lay-off.
It will be Oxford’s first match in more than a month following the international break.
Coach Keiran Hayes said the U’s players were determined to move off the foot of the table.
“We seemed to be just hitting our stride, the players had adjusted,” he said. “But now we’ve had the break, we’ve trained through it and we’re ready to go.
“We’ve got some really good players here that can go out and get us the result we want.”
Oxford Utd Ladies: from Cox, Mobbs, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pinker, Low, King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Lambourne, Franklin-Fraiture, Nichol, Stanley, Fellows, Alexander.
Latest Sport news
- Rob Hall sets up two goals on Oxford United return
- UPDATE: New ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ex-Oxford United striker Jefferson Louis loving return to area with Oxford City – 32 transfers later
- FOOTBALL: Sam Barder is Didcot’s match-winner while Banbury and Kidlington earn draws and Wantage are thrashed
- FOOTBALL: Mansfield Road stay top of Oxfordshire Senior League
- FOOTBALL: North Berks leaders Berinsfield are in seventh heaven
- FOOTBALL: Damini Bhagat bags five as unbeaten Oxford City girls prove too strong
- FOOTBALL: Oxfordshire Schools are beaten in first match
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback