Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

9:30am Friday 27th June 2014

By Mark Edwards

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

15-year-old girl raped while walking to Cowley bus stop

Oxford Mail:

5:10pm Thursday 8th October 2015

A 15-YEAR-OLD girl was raped in Barns Road, Cowley on her way to the bus stop.

UPDATE: Boy taken to hospital after car crash in Bicester

Oxford Mail:

5:00pm Thursday 8th October 2015

A boy has been taken to hospital after being involved in a crash in Bicester.

‘Slave’ at travellers’ site seen treated like a ragdoll on CCTV

Oxford Mail:

6:36pm Thursday 8th October 2015

CCTV footage from an Oxford travellers’ site has shown a man who was allegedly kept as a slave being pushed around and treated “like a ragdoll”.

E-fit released after man spotted holding little girl's hand in Greater Leys

Oxford Mail:

4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015

AN E-FIT of a man who ran away after being caught holding a little girl's hand in Greater Leys has been released by Thames Valley Police. According to officers, a two-year-old girl was playing outside a property in Shepherds Hill at about 6.20pm on Friday, September 11. When her mother came to check on her she saw a man holding the girl's hand. When she challenged the man, he ran away. He is described as white, in his thirties, about 5ft 7ins or 5ft 8ins with short spiky blond or brown hair. He was wearing a knee-length jacket that may have been leather. Investigating officer Det Con Lorna Briggs of Force CID in Oxford said: “We are keeping an open mind regarding this incident. There might be a innocent explanation as to why the man was holding the girl’s hand. “If anyone recognises the man in the E-fit or has any information about the incident then please contact your local police station."

Persistent beggar banned from asking people for money in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015

A BEGGAR has been banned by police from approaching people in Oxford and asking them for money, food or cigarettes.

Update: Missing teenager Michaela Rose from Chipping Norton found

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

7:50am Thursday 8th October 2015

MISSING teen Michaela Rose from Chipping Norton was found safe and well last night. 

Shop manager puts out bin fire after suspected arson attack

Oxford Mail: OM fire engine

4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015

A shop manager had to put out a bin fire after a suspected arson attack.

Arsonists set tent on fire in Bicester

Oxford Mail: Long TVP badge

3:27pm Thursday 8th October 2015

Arsonists set a tent ablaze on Sunday afternoon.

Fire in disused factory believed to have been started by children

Oxford Mail: OM fire engine

10:05am Thursday 8th October 2015

FIRE crews battled a blaze believed to be started by children at a disused factory in Bicester yesterday evening.

Booksellers braced for a sales bonanza on ‘Super Thursday’

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 8th October 2015

REVITALISED book sales will get a further boost today as literature lovers rush in to buy up 503 new hardback titles.

Starter homes scheme is ‘a get-out clause for builders’

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Thursday 8th October 2015

A NEW scheme to build more starter homes in Oxford has been angrily dismissed as a “get-out clause” for house builders.

Crackdown on buskers ‘may be a breach of human rights’

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Thursday 8th October 2015

BUSKING and begging will remain part of a controversial crackdown on city centre antisocial behaviour, despite concerns it will breach human rights laws.

‘Getting nurses among main challenges our hospices face’

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 8th October 2015

A HOSPICE is urging qualified children’s nurses who may have taken a break from work to consider getting back into it.

Littlemore needs a better bus service, campaigners demand

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Thursday 8th October 2015

ALMOST 100 people have signed a petition demanding more frequent bus services in Littlemore.


© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory