Report this comment
  • "If there was no money then I'm sure Waddock wouldn't have took the job. After all he was working."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Oxford United duo told to make decision by end of week

James Constable

James Constable

First published in Headlines Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

GARY Waddock wants answers from James Constable and Tom Newey about their futures by the end of this week.

The pair were the only players out of contract at Oxford United this summer to be offered new deals last week.

They have spent the weekend considering the terms and Waddock wants a resolution in the next few days so both parties know where they stand.

The U’s head coach said: “Players will want to consider their options, which is fair enough.

“But I also have to consider what I need to do here for this club.

“If you allow it to drag on through the summer it doesn’t help anybody and I would like a quick answer.

“They either want to be a part of it, or they don’t, but saying that I want both of the players here.”

Along with captain Jake Wright, who had an additional season clause activated by the club, Constable was the highest-profile United player out of contract this summer.

The 29-year-old is the longest-serving member of the squad, has been their top-scorer for the last six seasons and is just two goals away from becoming their all-time top marksman.

Newey was only signed last summer, but was United’s first choice left back all season, making 47 starts in all competitions.

Waddock made it clear the ball was in the players’ court and felt the deals were fair.

He said: “In the current climate, the salaries they’ve been offered are good.

“If you look at any football club now you have to be mindful of the figures you are banding about.

“It’s up to the players whether they want to be a part of it.

“We’ve offered them contracts because we want them here, it’s as simple as that.”

  • Latest United News:

Tyrone Barnett deal is not dead, says Oxford United chief executive Mark Ashton

Oxford Mail: oxford united logo 1200pix

9:10am Wednesday 28th January 2015

REPORTS suggesting Tyrone Barnett had rejected personal terms at Oxford United are wide of the mark, says chief executive Mark Ashton.

Ex-Oxford United defender Tom Newey signed again by Chris Wilder

Oxford Mail: Pictures from the U's 3-0 lose at Chesterfield

3:21pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

TOM Newey has signed a contract at Northampton Town until the end of the season, 24 hours after leaving Oxford United.

Joe Skarz swayed by Oxford United's potential

Oxford Mail:

11:10am Tuesday 27th January 2015

JOE Skarz admitted it took plenty of thought to drop two divisions and join Oxford United, but was swayed by the club’s potential.

Oxford United chief executive: Tyrone Barnett bid sends out right signal

Oxford Mail:

11:00am Tuesday 27th January 2015

OXFORD United’s bid for Tyrone Barnett shows their commitment to strengthening the squad as the January transfer window enters its final week, according to chief executive Mark Ashton.

Tom Newey agrees Oxford United release

Oxford Mail: Tom Newey

5:40pm Monday 26th January 2015

TOM Newey has agreed a settlement to leave Oxford United early by mutual consent.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree