9:20am Friday 21st March 2014
By David Pritchard
SEAN Rigg is ready to put a “nightmare” season of injuries in the past as the winger admits his future at Oxford United is on the line.
The 26-year-old has been used sparingly in recent games, but is available to face Hartlepool United this evening.
Rigg is one of a large group in the squad whose contracts expire at the end of the season.
United can activate an additional 12 months on the deal, but there have so far been no talks.
It means the former Bristol Rovers trainee has a big incentive to help the side finish the campaignwith a flourish.
“Next season is their optional year, so I’m playing for a new contract,” he said.
“There are a few boys that are looking for contracts who have got to do if for themselves as well as the team.
“All the boys will be well up for it tonight and I think there’s better to come.”
No-one in United’s squad featured in more league games than Rigg last season.
But the attacker, signed from Port Vale in 2012, has endured a testing time this time around.
Three separate injuries have limited him to starting less than half the side’s games in Sky Bet League Two, where he has scored just twice.
He said: “The first three games I got off to a brilliant start.
“Then I pulled my hamstring, which was a nightmare.
“I missed a few games, came back and did alright but then after a few games it went again.
“It’s been stop-start for me and that doesn’t happen because your fitness goes up and down.
“Then I pulled my calf in the warm-up against AFC Wimbledon.
“I tried to get through the first half, but I literally couldn’t move and that was another setback.
“It’s been hard for me to get going, but I’ve just got to get on with it.
“There’s nothing I can do about it, it happens to people.
“Last year I was lucky enough to go through a whole season without one muscle tear or serious injury.
“It’s been a bit of a nightmare, but I’ve just got to get on with it and do my best for the last few games.”
© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group