FOOTBALL: Cooper sets Broughton on path to stun leaders

8:00am Wednesday 5th March 2014

BROUGHTON & North Newington’s Division 1 title hopes in the Oxfordshire Senior League soared when they triumphed 3-0 in the battle of the top two against leaders Kidlington Res.

Victory took the home side level on points at the summit and though Kidlington have a game in hand, the championship is wide open.

Broughton opened the scoring on four minutes when Kevin Cooper powered in a header form a corner.

Six minutes later it was 2-0 with Danny Hastie sliding the ball in from six yards following good work by Jonny Hopcraft on the right wing.

Broughton sealed the points on 81 minutes when Johnathon Bedding slotted home from close range after nicking the ball off the Kidlington keeper.

While the top dogs were slugging it out, third-placed Eynsham were being held to a 2-2 draw by visiting Yarnton.

Andy Glossop struck twice for the home side, with Paul Skinner and Jamie Appleton netting for mid-table Yarnton.

Watlington and Middleton Cheney drew 1-1, a result which did neither side any great favours.

Watlington took the lead in the first half through Johnny Pitts after the forward latched on to Tom King’s through ball to fire home.

Cheney equalised mid-way through the second period with a perfectly executed free kick into the top corner from the away side skipper.

Premier Division leaders Oakley stretched their advantage at the top of the table.

They grabbed all three points from a home 3-1 win over Adderbury.

Oakley netted via Martyn Kinsey (2) and Paul Brown, with Lee Timms replying for the visitors.

Captain Dan Fraser led by example as he scored both goals to inspire Marston to their third win on the trot – 2-0 – in their bottom of the table clash with Garsington.

Marston created the better half chances but they found it hard to break down the Garsington defence.

The turning point came when Marston were awarded a penalty for handball.

Fraser kept his cool to convert the spot kick and the same man sealed it when he headed home Kieron Johnson’s pin-point cross.

Horspath, who are in fourth spot, were left to lament how they lost their game with Bletchingdon 1-0.

They did the lion’s share of the attacking but failed to really trouble the Bletchingdon goal.

With the game heading for a draw, Steve Gosling found Mark Gaul to hit a 90th minute strike, leaving Horspath with no time to recover.

Oxford Mail:

High-flying Bletchingdon Res came unstuck at the very end when George Seacole gave Freeland Res all three points in a 1-0 Division 2 victory.

Mansfield Rd Res took closer order on Marston Saints Res by defeating them 3-1.

A moment of inspiration from Luis McGillycuddy put the home side ahead after 25 minutes.

He showed some good footwork in the opposition’s box before hammering home from 12 yards.

Road doubled the lead just before half-time, when Paul Davies fired into an empty net.

Marston deservedly got a goal back when Laurence Elham finished from inside the box following a poor clearance.

But the home side put the game to bed when the ever-threatening McGillycuddy laid on an inch-perfect pass for Davies to bag his second.

Charlton Utd saw off Horspath Res 3-0 in Division 3. The home team took the lead when Ritchie Knight’s effort was deflected in.

United doubled their advantage when Chris Staker netted from close range after the ball was squared across the box.

Horspath missed a spot kick before Charlton broke away with 10 minutes left and Staker scored his second.

Eynsham Res won 4-3 away to North Oxford Res in the Archie Goddard Group C Cup.

Their goals came from Jon Room (2), Hamza Yassive and Dan Hill, North’s reply was from Richard Hinkin, Leigh Paintin and Elliott Powell.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory