FOOTBALL: Four for the Road sees Mansfield reduce the gap on leaders Oakley

8:00am Wednesday 22nd January 2014

Oxfordshire Senior League

Mansfield Road closed in on Premier Division leaders Oakley with a 4-1 home victory over Riverside.

The game started well for Mansfield Road with Luis Mcgillycuddy being brought down in the box inside two minutes, only for him to miss the spot-kick.

However, two minutes later Jamie Cockfield was taken out in the box and he made no mistake to give Mansfield Road the lead from 12 yards.

A third penalty went Riverside’s way and Liam O’Callaghan levelled just after the break.

But Mansfield Road took control and strikes from McGillycuddy, James Watkins, Dan O’Connor sealed the points.

Riverside’s Craig Bloomfield received a red card for a nasty tackle with 15 minutes to go.

Leaders Oakley, their long unbeaten run now just a distant memory, went down 1-0 at Stonesfield.

Stonesfield lost Tom Green with an ankle injury after 20 minutes, replaced by Matt Tarry.

But only two minutes later, Johny Richards was allowed to drift in to head home from close range following another pin-point set-piece delivery from wide man Nick Higgs.

The second half was more of the same, with Oakley probing without really testing the resilient Stonesfield defence.

Bletchingdon and Chalgrove took a point apiece from a 1-1 draw.

The impressive Craig Hanlon nodded in Adam Wells’ corner after 25 minutes for the hosts, with Chalgrove equalising in first-half injury time via the impressive Nick Skiller.

Simon Caury grabbed a late winner for Freeland in a 3-2 victory at Marston Saints.

For the opening 20 minutes Marston looked the better team, but Tom Millar and Danny Tabor scored in quick succession to give Freeland a 2-0 interval lead.

Marston put up a spirited fightback and two penalties from John Hudson looked like earning a point, only for Caury to strike with two minutes to go.

In Division 1, Kidlington Res ran riot with a 7-1 home success over Yarnton.

Ben Willougby put the hosts ahead, but Paul Skiller squared it from the spot.

From then on it was all Kidlington with Jamie Anderson (2), Mark Burton, Dale Crowie, Nathan Geary and Harry Ritchie cashing in.

Oxford Mail:

Kidlington Old Boys, who lost 3-1 to Charlton United

Kidlington Old Boys drew first blood at Charlton United before sliding to a 3-1 defeat.

Dijon Whiteman gave Old Boys the lead with a cool finish after a mistake from the Charlton back line.

However, Daniel Sweeney added to his fine goals per game ratio with the equaliser, and then Ash Mcilrath put the home side ahead two minutes later with a confident side-footed finish from 18 yards.

The hosts poured more misery on their local rivals when a delivery from veteran Ritchie Knight from a corner was stabbed home by Matt Hillsdon.

Broughton & North Newington crushed visiting Watlington 4-0, with strikes from John Umney, Aaron Lowe, Jack Kettle and Laurence Caro.

Leaders Middleton Cheney Res thumped Freeland Res 5-0 in Division 2.

Once the visitors opened the scoring, they were unstoppable, with Josh Hart (2), Steve O’Brian, Luke Finch and Chris Heritage netting.

Watlington Res drew 3-3 at home to Charlton Res in their Division 3 encounter.

Frazer Wilson rattled in a treble for Watlington, but Chris Stalker (2) and Kieran Cross ensured both sides collected a point.

Adderbury Res prevailed 2-1 after extra time in their Clarendon Cup second-round tie at Launton Sports Res.

Kyle Forbes and Ashley Wingrove won it for Adderbury, with Mark Scanes replying.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory