Canadian defenceman Kyle Flemington has quit Oxford City Stars and signed for Edinburgh Capitals for an undisclosed fee – just seven weeks after joining.
The 6ft 7½ins giant has grabbed the chance to play in the Elite League – a level two tiers above Oxford, who are in the top division of the National League.
It leaves Stars facing a race against time to sign another import ahead of the league opener at Invicta Dynamos on Saturday, September 13.
However, they have already identified a potential replacement for Flemington.
Coach Darren Elliott said: “We’re disappointed to have lost Kyle to Edinburgh, but we’d never stand in the way of a player who has the opportunity to play at a higher level.
“We wish him all the best at the Capitals. We’ve got somebody in mind to replace him – somebody we’ve had our eyes on for a while, but wasn’t available until now.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- There are some good signs, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton after 2-2 draw at Port Vale
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Curtis Nelson calls on Oxford United to learn from Port Vale draw
- Oxford United defender Joe Skarz happy with return from injury but frustrated with Port Vale draw
- FOOTBALL: Skipper Scott Davies is sent off as depleted Oxford City hold on for point
- Weekend results: October 22 & 23
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United's fine unbeaten run is ended at hands of Frome
- FOOTBALL: Last-gasp Jordan Graham goal earns Didcot Town a point at Hereford
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith pleased with points haul at Phillip Island
- MOTORSPORT: Felipe Massa lands top ten spot for Williams at US Grand Prix