Didcot's Steve Gilbert reached the last 16 of the Bowls England Men’s National Singles Championship before bowing out 21-8 to Louis Ridout (Ilminster, Somerset).
Representing Berkshire, he had beaten Middlesbrough’s Vinne O’Neill 21-14 in the first round, before overcoming Bletchley Town’s Malcolm Drage 21-15 in round two.
Banbury Borough’s Greg Moon was pipped 21-20 by Mel Biggs (Westlecot, Wiltshire) in the second round after opening up with a 21-13 victory over Jamie Walker (Northampton West End, Northumberland).
Oxon’s other representative, Dean May (Headington), went out 21-16 to Romford’s Steve Mitchinson 21-16 in the preliminary round.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Kemar Roofe on a mission to make Oxford United starting line-up
- Composure will be key for Oxford United in sprint for the finish, says Michael Appleton
- Gareth Ainsworth aiming for Wycombe to make more memories at Oxford United's expense
- Michael Appleton puts faith in Oxford United injured players to make right call
- Oxford United goalkeeper Benji Buchel ready for Wycombe bombardment
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton returns to the saddle at Kingston Blount
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire youngsters reach national finals after dramatic shoot-out
- CRICKET: No knee-jerk reactions for Oxfordshire, says captain Luke Ryan
- CRICKET: Lloyd Sabin ready to lead Banbury in Division 1 of Home Counties Premier League
- CRICKET: Oxford bidding to bounce back in Home Counties Premier League under new captain John Barrett