Didcot's Steve Gilbert reached the last 16 of the Bowls England Men’s National Singles Championship before bowing out 21-8 to Louis Ridout (Ilminster, Somerset).
Representing Berkshire, he had beaten Middlesbrough’s Vinne O’Neill 21-14 in the first round, before overcoming Bletchley Town’s Malcolm Drage 21-15 in round two.
Banbury Borough’s Greg Moon was pipped 21-20 by Mel Biggs (Westlecot, Wiltshire) in the second round after opening up with a 21-13 victory over Jamie Walker (Northampton West End, Northumberland).
Oxon’s other representative, Dean May (Headington), went out 21-16 to Romford’s Steve Mitchinson 21-16 in the preliminary round.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- World Cup warm-up games come second to Oxford United's play-off push - Ryan Ledson
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell’s off to a steady start in South Africa
- Andy Cook appointed new manager of Oxford United women
- BAR BILLIARDS: Donnington Club stretch lead with whitewash win
- MOTORSPORT: Anything’s possible this season, says Renault driver Jolyon Palmer
- ROWING: Former Abingdon School pupil Tom Digby adds to his world record tally
- ICE HOCKEY: Lacklustre Oxford City Stars defeated as Milton Keynes Thunder take quick revenge
- AUNT SALLY: Banbury Cricket Club take Eynsham Winter League title in first season
- RUGBY UNION: Henley Hawks fined for breach of RFU agent rules
- ATHLETICS: Hannah Hale breaks Eynsham club record at Bramley 20