Didcot's Steve Gilbert reached the last 16 of the Bowls England Men’s National Singles Championship before bowing out 21-8 to Louis Ridout (Ilminster, Somerset).
Representing Berkshire, he had beaten Middlesbrough’s Vinne O’Neill 21-14 in the first round, before overcoming Bletchley Town’s Malcolm Drage 21-15 in round two.
Banbury Borough’s Greg Moon was pipped 21-20 by Mel Biggs (Westlecot, Wiltshire) in the second round after opening up with a 21-13 victory over Jamie Walker (Northampton West End, Northumberland).
Oxon’s other representative, Dean May (Headington), went out 21-16 to Romford’s Steve Mitchinson 21-16 in the preliminary round.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Simon Eastwood bidding to establish himself as Oxford United's No 1
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell misses the cut in Germany
- Oxford United Women boosted by double loan signing from Chelsea
- CRICKET: Captain Josh Smith calls on Aston Rowant to build on Cookham Dean victory
- CRICKET: Lloyd Sabin delighted at Kurtis Patterson's impact at Banbury
- TENNIS: Alexis Canter hopeful of junior Wimbledon wildcard
- CRICKET: Shipton-under-Wychwood captain Charlie Brain buzzing for Davidstow Village Cup clash
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis strengthens push for Olympic gold with Poland success
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire captain Luke Ryan remains upbeat despite Shropshire defeat