Didcot's Steve Gilbert reached the last 16 of the Bowls England Men’s National Singles Championship before bowing out 21-8 to Louis Ridout (Ilminster, Somerset).
Representing Berkshire, he had beaten Middlesbrough’s Vinne O’Neill 21-14 in the first round, before overcoming Bletchley Town’s Malcolm Drage 21-15 in round two.
Banbury Borough’s Greg Moon was pipped 21-20 by Mel Biggs (Westlecot, Wiltshire) in the second round after opening up with a 21-13 victory over Jamie Walker (Northampton West End, Northumberland).
Oxon’s other representative, Dean May (Headington), went out 21-16 to Romford’s Steve Mitchinson 21-16 in the preliminary round.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- WEEKEND RESULTS: May 28-29
- CRICKET: Horspath stretch unbeaten start to four games after Shipton-under-Wychwood collapse
- CRICKET: Dain Moreton's century inspires Great & Little Tew to victory over Harefield
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest