JONATHAN Margetts’ 55th-minute strike inflicted a first defeat of the season on Oxford City in their Vanarama Conference North clash at Harrogate Town on Saturday, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
City created numerous chances against a highly-fancied Harrogate side, but failed to take any of them.
However, it was the hosts, chasing their first win of the season, who carved out the best opportunities in the opening minutes.
Adam Nowakovski went close to putting the home side in front after four minutes, seeing his header blocked on the line.
Moments later, Simon Leni-ghan’s deflected shot drifted narrowly wide and Margetts’ headed effort just missed the target from the resulting cor-ner.
City came back into the game and almost edged themselves in front when Tom Winters’ cross-cum-shot clipped the bar.
Just a minute later Adi Yussuf had an effort blocked in front of goal, but Felipe Barcelos was unable to bring the ball under control quickly enough on the rebound, allowing Harrogate goalkeeper Phil Barnes to snuff out the danger.
The second half was ten minutes old when the hosts finally made the breakthrough.
Margetts latched onto an excellent through ball before slotting home past City keeper Mark Scott and into the bottom left-hand corner.
City continued to threaten as they went in search of an equaliser, committing more men forward the longer the game wore on.
Winters drew a flying save with an excellent curling shot which was heading for the top corner.
And Yussuf was also foiled by the Harrogate keeper as his bobbling attempt was tipped just wide.
But despite carving out a number of good chances City could find no way through as the hosts held on for their first win of the season.
Oxford City: Scott, Benjamin, Stonehouse, Del Alamo, Brown, Green, Barcelos (Afolabi 68), Pond, Yussuf (Wilson 82), Rodriguez, Winters. Subs not used: Malone, Arnau, Henderson.
Referee: S Lucas.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- World Cup warm-up games come second to Oxford United's play-off push - Ryan Ledson
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell’s off to a steady start in South Africa
- Andy Cook appointed new manager of Oxford United women
- BAR BILLIARDS: Donnington Club stretch lead with whitewash win
- MOTORSPORT: Anything’s possible this season, says Renault driver Jolyon Palmer
- ROWING: Former Abingdon School pupil Tom Digby adds to his world record tally
- ICE HOCKEY: Lacklustre Oxford City Stars defeated as Milton Keynes Thunder take quick revenge
- AUNT SALLY: Banbury Cricket Club take Eynsham Winter League title in first season
- RUGBY UNION: Henley Hawks fined for breach of RFU agent rules
- ATHLETICS: Hannah Hale breaks Eynsham club record at Bramley 20