Wantage Tn 4
(Cattell 27, Roberts 47, M Jones 48, Melledew 78)
Bishops Cleeve 2
(Tustain 3, Price pen 89)
Wantage Town collected their first Southern League victory with an impressive second-half display in Division 1 South & West on Saturday.
Two goals in the space of as many minutes was key to the success, which sees Gary Ackling’s side climb to 18th in the table.
It started badly for Wantage, however, when Joe Tustain headed the visitors ahead after just three minutes.
It took the home side a while to find their feet, but when they did eventually get going, Stuart Cattell levelled just before the half-hour mark.
Both keepers made good stops, before a quickfire double at the start of the second period gave Wantage some breathing space.
Karl Roberts headed home two minutes after the restart and Matt Jones made it 3-1 almost immediately after latching onto Jimmy Deabill’s flick.
Victory was wrapped up when a well-timed run from captain Tom Melledew saw him hit No 4 with 12 minutes remaining.
Bishops Cleeve’s Harlie Price converted an 89th-minute penalty, but it did not dampen Wantage’s celebrations.
Wantage Tn: Farrow, Sadler, Jones, Steedman, Cattell, Da Costa, Lachacz, Melledew, Riccio, (Johns 75), Deabill (Guy 80), Roberts (Shaw 76). Subs not used: Millward, Barder.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton aiming to convince Conor McAleny that Oxford United is best option for next season
- North Leigh eye one more scalp as they face Oxford United in Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- Oxford City Stars request plan from EIHA to deal with potential league restructure
- DARTS: Oxfordshire's promotion ended by heavy defeat
- CRICKET: Blewbury & Wallingford CC quit Cherwell League
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor keep National League 2 South play-off dream alive as Henley Hawks also win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury beat Witney as Oxford Harlequins and Grove lose, but avoid the drop
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Oxford United young keeper Lucy Brown praised after defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester triumph after late rally, Gosford All Blacks win but Wallingford are beaten
- GOLF: Burford go top of Oxfordshire Foursomes League