OXFORDSHIRE Under 17s put in a superb performance to beat Sussex by one wicket on first innings in their friendly at Blackstone, Hove.
With a number of regulars missing, Oxfordshire fielded several under-age players, but they defied their years to beat their hosts in a thrilling finish to a super late stand between Hendrick Robyns (70) and Adam Spears (40no).
Losing the toss, Oxfordshire were in the field on day one, and Sussex posted 279 all out in 81 overs.
Spears was the pick of the bowlers, taking 4-51 from 15 overs.
Max Mannering chipped in with 3-52 and Jonny Meardon bowled economically to take 2-39 from 16 overs.
Oxfordshire edged to 280-9 from 71 overs in reply.
Harry Thomas (53) and Harry Ackland (33) shared 65 for the first wicket, but the wheels fell off as they slumped to 170-7.
However, Robyns (70) and Spears (40no) steadied the ship to see Oxfordshire home.
Oxfordshire are next in action on Thursday when they host Leicestershire in the Royal London Under 17 Cup semi-final at Wormsley, with an 11am start.
Scores: Sussex Under 17 279 (T Haines 79, J Billings 61, N Smith 45, A Spears 4-51, M Mannering 3-52), Oxon Under 17 280-9 (H Robyns 70, H Thomas 53, A Spears 40no, H Ackland 33).
Oxon U16 213-9 (50 ovs, A Samiullah 76, G Beer 40, H Eltham 31), Gloucs U16 214-8 (45.4 ovs, J Waters 57, B Slade 41, H Eltham 3-18, R Packham 3-38).
Northants U16 255 (49ovs, G Groenland 83, M Levine 54, H Eltham 3-19, G Beer 3-54), Oxon U16 154 (42 ovs).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- BAR BILLIARDS: Pauline Withey leads way as Oracle whitewash opponents
- ROWING: Dominant Oxford Brookes lead the way at Wallingford
- ATHLETICS: Steve Naylor wins second round of Oxford Mail Cross Country League
- ATHLETICS: Ben West claims third in Chiltern Cross Country League
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation