Oxfordshire suffered a disastrous collapse in their final three-day game of the season at Nantwich CC yesterday.
Luke Ryan’s side had done well to peg Cheshire back from 130-2 to 190-9, before their day ended on a real low note.
The hosts, who will be Western Division champions if they beat Oxon, enjoyed a final-wicket stand of 57 to post a first innings total of 247.
They then ripped through Oxfordshire’s top order, reducing them to 3-3 and 18-5, before Chad Keegan, who earlier claimed five wickets, and Shabaz Alam saw them to 60-5 at the close.
To add more misery to Oxon’s day, influential batsman Richard Kaufman was unable to bat after feeling ill while fielding.
Today’s play will start at 10.30 to try and make up the time lost to rain yesterday morning.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Hat-trick hero Conor McAleny takes centre stage as Oxford United close in on play-off places
- 'We were not ruthless enough', says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton, 'but it's difficult to say that after a 4-0 win'
- Clean sheet is just like a hat-trick for Oxford United's defenders, says Joe Skarz
- WEEKEND RESULTS: February 25-26
- FOOTBALL: Ricky Johnson’s late goal earns Banbury United victory
- FOOTBALL: Debutant Ezra Forde saves Oxford City with last-gasp goal
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh draw, but Didcot Town and Wantage Town suffer defeats
- FOOTBALL: In-form Kidlington make it five wins in a row
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory at Chesterfield
- Chesterfield 0, Oxford United 4 (Hall 17, McAleny 35, 60 & 69)