Wantage's John Tighe won a silver medal in the Masters A National Championships at Salford Quays, Manchester.
A relative newcomer to the sport, which involves a 1,000m run either side of a 100m swim, came second in the men’s 40-49 class with a time of 10mins 53secs.
The gold medal went to Tighe’s former primary schoolmate from Wantage, James Greenwell, who recorded 9.45.
Tighe, 43, said: “James and I were childhood friends and neighbours.
“We actually met playing marbles on the school playground. I won the marbles, but James now beats me at biathle!”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships
- Details announced for Oxford United's EFL Cup tie at Birmingham City
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio
- WEEKEND RESULTS June 25 & 26
- CRICKET: Samad Fallah takes seven as Oxford rout Gerrards Cross
- ATHLETICS: Ennis delighted to reach 200m final
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas