Wantage's John Tighe won a silver medal in the Masters A National Championships at Salford Quays, Manchester.
A relative newcomer to the sport, which involves a 1,000m run either side of a 100m swim, came second in the men’s 40-49 class with a time of 10mins 53secs.
The gold medal went to Tighe’s former primary schoolmate from Wantage, James Greenwell, who recorded 9.45.
Tighe, 43, said: “James and I were childhood friends and neighbours.
“We actually met playing marbles on the school playground. I won the marbles, but James now beats me at biathle!”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face trip to Championship strugglers if they win FA Cup replay
- Back injury rules Joe Skarz out of Oxford United's game at Southend United
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Michael Appleton hoping plum draw in FA Cup will give Oxford United added incentive
- ATHLETICS: Organisers cancel third round of Oxford Mail Cross Country League
- WEEKEND RESULTS December 3-4
- FOOTBALL: Matt Sysum's goal earns victory for North Leigh
- FOOTBALL: Callum White’s fluke goal seals last-gasp win for Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: James Roberts breaks his duck as Oxford City slip to home defeat
- FOOTBALL: Supersub Lewis Coyle hits stunning four-timer for Kidlington