Frances Houghton will sit out the World Championships in Amsterdam next week.
The two-time Olympic silver medallist, from Wheatley, has been struggling with a virus and is not ready to compete.
The 33-year-old, who had been due to race in the double scull with Victoria Thornley, said: “Since joining the GB Rowing Team as a junior in 1995 this is the first time I have missed a World Championships due to illness, so it is a very strange feeling.”
Meanwhile, three Oxford youngsters helped Britain win a silver medal in the men’s coxed four at the Junior World Championships in Hamburg.
Charles Elwes, from Radley College, Thomas Digby, from Abingdon School, and coxswain Hugo Marsh, from St Edward’s were part of the crew coached by Radley’s John Gearing.
Matilda Martin, from Headington School, who was whisked from the GB Coupe team as a last-minute substitute in the four, was in the crew that won the B final.
Oxford University women’s lightweight quad of Becky Lane, Sophie Philbrick, Ellie Backhouse and Sarah Robinson became European Universities champions at the EUSA Games in Rotterdam.
Action is back on the Isis this weekend with the Oxford City Royal Regatta on Saturday and the newer sprint version on Sunday.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- The derby games are great but it's not my problem, says Michael Appleton on Swindon Town's relegation
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Quickfire Oxford United striker Conor McAleny delighted at Millwall victory
- Oxford United midfielder Josh Ruffels revels in week to remember
- Michael Appleton hails Oxford United's 'outstanding' display in victory over Millwall
- FOOTBALL: Jefferson Louis fires in-form Oxford City to third straight victory
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town and North Leigh enjoy final-day victories, but Banbury United, Wantage Town and Kidlington are beaten
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire hold on to win thriller against Cornwall
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith finishes just outside the points in Austin MotoGP
- WEEKEND RESULTS: April 22-23