Bicester Blue Fins can boast two national junior champions for the first time in their 64-year history.
Kieran Bird, 14, won two gold and two silver medals in the British Gas ASA National Junior Champion-ships at Ponds Forge, Sheffield.
His first win came in the 200m butterfly, where his time of 2mins 04.85secs smashed the south east regional junior record by seven seconds – which was only two seconds slower than the British junior record.
Bird also won the 100m butterfly in a club record time, before taking silver in the 400m individual medley where he sliced six seconds off the regional record and set a club best mark.
He completed his excellent haul by finishing as runner-up in the 1.5km open water swim – it is the first time that Bird has ever tackled the discipline.
Bird finished second in the overall standings, while Tom Thornley, also 14, was fifth after taking gold in the 200m backstroke.
His time of 2.07.99 beat the regional mark by three seconds, was a club record and only a second slower than the British junior record.
He also took bronze in the 100m backstroke breaking a regional and club record, touching home one second off the national best.
Emily Nisbet, 14, was the best-placed City of Oxford competitor, finishing fourth in the 400m individual medley in 5.02.58 and taking fifth place in the 200m butterfly in 2.20.90.
Callum Smart, 13, was fifth in the 100m breaststroke (1.10.75) and eighth in the 200m breaststroke (2.35.31).
Maia Little, also 13, came home sixth in the 100m breaststroke (1.16.29).
The girls 4 x 100m freestyle relay team of Ellie Millington, Olivia Webster, Alissa Clarke and Nisbet set a county junior record, touching home in 4.08.57.
Bluefins finished 13th in the UK medal table.
The five records smashed by Bicester’s Bird and Thornley are subject to ASA ratification.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- UPDATE: New ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ex-Oxford United striker Jefferson Louis loving return to area with Oxford City – 32 transfers later
- FOOTBALL: Sam Barder is Didcot’s match-winner while Banbury and Kidlington earn draws and Wantage are thrashed
- FOOTBALL: Mansfield Road stay top of Oxfordshire Senior League
- FOOTBALL: North Berks leaders Berinsfield are in seventh heaven
- FOOTBALL: Damini Bhagat bags five as unbeaten Oxford City girls prove too strong
- FOOTBALL: Oxfordshire Schools are beaten in first match
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback
- FOOTBALL: Southern League previews for Didcot, Wantage, Kidlington and Banbury