Oxford's Ross Applebey is about to embark on a challenge of a lifetime by racing the yacht Scarlet Logic in the tough 1,800 mile Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland Race.
Setting off from Cowes tomorrow, the event involving a fleet of 28 boats from 12 different countries, will see some of the world’s fastest yachts and professional sailors compete on the same race course as seasoned amateurs. Applebey will be competing alongside the likes of round- the-world sailors, Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, Dee Caffari and Brian Thompson.
The record for this race is just over five days and depending on the weather, could take up to two weeks.
The coastline is notorious for highly-changeable weather, wicked tides and currents and puts the race among the most difficult.
Most yachts are fully crewed but four entries will be racing with just two crew, making their individual experience even tougher.
Five of the yachts competing in the Volvo Ocean Race are using the event as a warm-up to their global race in October.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- ANGLING: Steve Harwood loses out by a ounce in Oxford Winter League
- TABLE TENNIS: Neil Cartwright leads British rail's express start to season
- MOTORCYCLING: Bradley Smith wary of knee injury in practice for Australian MotoGP
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars bid to bounce back in double-header
- I expect to score for Oxford United despite left-field switch – Ryan Taylor
- Michael Appleton searching for a cure to Oxford United's Jekyll & Hyde form
- Oxford United loan extension appeals to Charlie Raglan
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell set to miss cut after disastrous second round
- Port Vale sign former Newcastle United midfielder Ryan Taylor ahead of Oxford United clash