MICHAEL Appleton is keen to stress Andy Whing’s recovery from groin surgery is on track amid rumours the Oxford United midfielder was set to hang up his boots.
The 29-year-old is working his way back to fitness after going under the knife to correct a problem this summer.
But he felt moved this week to deny suggestions on Twitter that he was considering retirement.
Appleton fully understood Whing’s response, but the U’s boss made it clear he was not fond of social media.
He said: “Whingy’s recovery is coming along really well at the minute.
“I think he was irritated about a couple of things that were said on social media, but I said to him these things happen and it’s why I encourage players to use it as little as they possibly can, certainly in football terms.”
Despite the progress, as it stands there is no definitive date set for Whing’s return to action.
Appleton said: “From a timing point of view the most important thing is he gets back fit.
“Whether that’s in a month, two months or three months, it doesn’t really concern me.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- Oxford United face trip to Championship strugglers if they win FA Cup replay