Oxfordshire's Carol Gaskins and Carol Penson had a terrific run in the women’s National Senior Pairs at Royal Leamington Spa before bowing out in the semi-finals.
The Oxford City & County duo were pipped 27-24 by eventual winners Yvonne Woodcock and Wendy Davies (Sussex) at Victoria Park.
Gaskins and Penson had seen off Huntingdonshire’s Helen Crow and Pat Reynolds 19-15 in the quarter-finals.
That came after they had opened up by crushing Somerset’s Barbara Colby and Jill Humphries 26-8, before squeezing past Hampshire’s Carol Pullin and Sandy Pullin 20-17.
An Oxford City & County side are also through to the National Fours Championship semi-finals.
Katherine Hawes’s team of Myra Lewis, Donna Knight and Gail Gilkes reached the last four with a thrilling 19-18 win over a side from Parkway, Huntingdonshire.
In the quarter-finals, the City & County four had posted a 20-9 win over a team from Consett Park, Durham.
They started their challenge with a 20-13 win over a four from Wigton, Cumbria, before defeating a Didcot side 30-15 in the second round.
City & County’s Margaret Stacey, Marion Darton, Gas-kins and Penson lost 24-9 to a Broadway four in round one.
National Junior Singles Championship 1st round: K Glenn (Oxford City & County) 5, H Arundel (Selby, Yorkshire) 21. 2nd round: A Stone (Banbury Central) 21, C Smith (Junction, Derbyshire) 18. 3rd round: A Stone 19, K Cumper (Woodbridge Hill, Surrey) 21.
Champions of Champions 1st round: J Eley (Bushey) 21, D Knight (Oxford City & County) 16.
- Oxford United season ticket sales set to break new ground at Kassam Stadium
- TENNIS: Alexis Canter thrilled by Wimbledon call
- CRICKET: Vice-captain Jonny Cater backs Oxfordshire to end poor run in Unicorns Counties Championship
- RUGBY UNION: Bevon Armitage has high hopes after signing for Chinnor
- CRICKET: Great & Little Tew captain Andy Harris delighted by Joe Thomas form
- CRICKET: John Barrett hails Oxford's quality ahead of Thame Town derby
- TENNIS: Ustic saves match points on way to maiden title
- ROWING: Oxon crews reign at damp Reading regatta
- ICE HOCKEY: Elliott End set up to honour Oxford City Stars aces
- UD Marbella to provide Oxford United's sole opposition at training camp in Spain