OXFORD Saints ran in five touchdowns as they stunned leaders Peterborough Saxons to claim a 33-12 win on the road.
Rob Johnson, Martin Fitzpatrick and Kev Brooks all scored in the first half to give the visitors a commanding lead and a double from James Walter in the closing stages sealed a handsome victory.
The fixture was played a week later than scheduled, following a postponement due to a lack of referee crew.
The Saints travelled to Cambridgeshire with a small squad, meaning players had to feature in multiple positions during the game.
The Saxons missed an early field goal and from then on they struggled to find a rhythm.
Their visitors took full advantage and with the next drive, rookie runningback Johnson sprinted into the endzone for the first score of the game.
Quarterback Harry Brookmyre converted the extra point kick to make it 7-0.
Their advantage was quickly doubled when veteran Ken Snider dislodged the ball from Peterborough’s quarterback.
Fitzpatrick scooped up the loose ball and ran it in from 42 yards down the field for another score, which was converted.
It got even better for Saints before the half-time interval, when another powerful drive finished with Brooks scoring a touchdown from three yards.
Peterborough blocked the extra point kick, but found themselves 20-0 behind.
The leaders finally got on the board after the restart, when quarterback Nick Tilbury found teammate Christopher O’Dea in open space for a 72-yard touchdown pass to make it 20-6.
They attempted to go for two extra points by throwing the ball again, but the pass was incomplete.
It did not spark a comeback, though, as Walter sealed the result in the fourth quarter. He claimed his first score with a 52-yard run to give Saints a 20-point cushion.
Walter quickly added a second touchdown, this time from 35 yards.
Jason Bradshaw had the final word for Peterborough, but it could not prevent a heavy defeat.
The Saints next host Leicester Falcons on August 17.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback
- FOOTBALL: Southern League previews for Didcot, Wantage, Kidlington and Banbury
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins record first victory as last kick misses target
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor bury battling opponents with six-try display to stay top of the table
- GOLF: Final pair seal Foursomes crown for Frilford Heath
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks' chances go west as Isca edge tight contest
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester scrape home to narrow derby win against Wallingford
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford are overpowered by Littlemore