Former Oxford University student Dan Fox could barely conceal his delight after he helped England men’s hockey team set up a last-four clash with Australia tomorrow following yesterday’s 3-1 win against Canada, writes Stuart Weir.
Ashley Jackson (2) and and captain Barry Middleton were on target for England, while Scott Tupper replied with two minutes to go.
“A steady performance, but we didn’t really hit our straps.
“We had a couple of nice periods of play, but we know we have more to offer.
“Canada are a good side, very physical and with some skilful players so we will take 3-1.
“I am really looking forward to the semi-final against Australia – the medal matches in front of a crowd like this is what it is all about. It will be a tough game but we back ourselves to play well against Australia. “We have had a lot of good, tight games against them.
“With the exception of the recent World Cup we usually do well against them.”
Ex-Oxford Hawks hockey player Emma Batten scored twice as Wales beat Trinidad & Tobago in the ninth-placed play-off last night.
Elen Barnes and Pheobe Richards got their other goals.
Batten said: “We just took a bit of time to get going, but then it was great to come out after half-time and put four past them.”
Meanwhile, Marsh Gibbon’s Zoe Shipperley hopes to help England ladies’ hockey team to victory in today’s semi-final against New Zealand (2.30pm).
The bronze and gold finals take place on Saturday evening.
Oxford City triple jumper Nathan Douglas takes part in the qualifiers later today (8.55pm).
Should Douglas progress, tomorrow’s final starts at 7.10pm.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- Oxfordshire Senior Cup final details are confirmed
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash