Former Oxford University student Dan Fox could barely conceal his delight after he helped England men’s hockey team set up a last-four clash with Australia tomorrow following yesterday’s 3-1 win against Canada, writes Stuart Weir.
Ashley Jackson (2) and and captain Barry Middleton were on target for England, while Scott Tupper replied with two minutes to go.
“A steady performance, but we didn’t really hit our straps.
“We had a couple of nice periods of play, but we know we have more to offer.
“Canada are a good side, very physical and with some skilful players so we will take 3-1.
“I am really looking forward to the semi-final against Australia – the medal matches in front of a crowd like this is what it is all about. It will be a tough game but we back ourselves to play well against Australia. “We have had a lot of good, tight games against them.
“With the exception of the recent World Cup we usually do well against them.”
Ex-Oxford Hawks hockey player Emma Batten scored twice as Wales beat Trinidad & Tobago in the ninth-placed play-off last night.
Elen Barnes and Pheobe Richards got their other goals.
Batten said: “We just took a bit of time to get going, but then it was great to come out after half-time and put four past them.”
Meanwhile, Marsh Gibbon’s Zoe Shipperley hopes to help England ladies’ hockey team to victory in today’s semi-final against New Zealand (2.30pm).
The bronze and gold finals take place on Saturday evening.
Oxford City triple jumper Nathan Douglas takes part in the qualifiers later today (8.55pm).
Should Douglas progress, tomorrow’s final starts at 7.10pm.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Port Vale 2 (Cicilia 54, Taylor pen 59), Oxford United 2 (Dunkley 11, Crowley 19)
- UPDATES - Port Vale v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Coventry proved frustrating but we will show our mettle today at Port Vale
- Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley and Tyler Roberts pushing for Oxford United starting roles at Port Vale
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- SNOOKER/BILLIARDS: Neil Craycraft stars in Abingdon Conservatives' whitewash
- MOTORSPORT: Williams seeking boost for US Grand prix
- SKATER HOCKEY: Adam Harris thrilled to be making his debut for GB
- TABLE TENNIS: Neil Cartwright leads British rail's express start to season
- ANGLING: Steve Harwood loses out by a ounce in Oxford Winter League