THE battle for the Premier Section crown is alive after leaders Six Bells C lost for the second match in succession, writes ANDY BEAL.
A week after their unbeaten run came to an end, the front-runners went down 2-1 at home to Red Lion A Eynsham.
Six Bells got off to a good start, winning the opening leg 24-17, but Lion roared back to take the next two 33-25, 31-25.
Three Pigeons edged a point closer after a scrappy 2-1 home win over Gladiators.
They edged the first leg 26-25, before cruising to take the next 34-24.
But despite two sixes from Kevin Giles (6-2-6), they missed out on maximum points as Gladiators, led by Denis Butler (5-4-4) pinched the final leg 26-23.
Kevin Baker (6-3-5) and Den Sellar (4-5-5) whipped off 14 dolls apiece as Cricketers B kept their title hopes intact with a 31-14, 28-21, 29-26 win at home to Garsington Sports A.
Yarnton British Legion opened up a five-point gap at the top of Section One after beating Rose Hill A 3-0.
Mark Poulter (4-4-5) starred in the 25-19, 21-18, 24-19 away triumph.
Chequers A scored fewer dolls than hosts Three Horseshoes but still won 2-1 in Section 2.
A six from Roger Clements helped the visitors take the first leg 17-16 and they also edged the next 16-15.
The Horseshoes hit back to claim the final leg 22-18.
Pete King (4-5-4) hit form as the Woodman whitewashed Team Monarch 22-18, 23-21, 28-13.
Jeff Cox clanged off his first six after playing for 43 years to help Ampleforth Arms A win 2-1 at home to Vikings B.
The hosts fell behind 22-17, but bounced back to win the next two legs in style 27-15, 28-19.
Simon King (5-4-4) was top dog as Red Lion B Eynsham demolished visitors Red Lion Kidlington 27-14, 23-15, 26-15.
Bullnose Morris A remain top of Section 3 after surviving a scare to beat Six Bells A Kidlington 19-17, 19-20, 26-18.
Lee Mason (3-6-5) led Brill Sports Club A to a 2-1 win at home to New Club B in Section 5.
The visitors pinched the opening leg 14-12, but Brill hit back to win 24-12, 21-17.
King & Queen B leapt to the top of a tight Section 6 with a 11-7, 17-15, 16-10 win at Chandos Arms.
It was enough to take top spot as previous leaders Ampleforth Arms B lost 3-0 at home to North Oxford Con Club A.
They were never in the match, which finished 22-16, 15-11, 21-14.
Rory Mangan (4-6-3) hit his first maximum as Section 8 leaders Chequers C whitewashed Littlemore British Legion 20-15, 17-8, 16-15.
Kings Arms A came out on top in Section 9’s top-of-the-table clash at Golden Ball.
The visitors went ahead 22-16 and doubled their lead on three sticks after the second leg was tied 16-16.
Golden Ball hit back to win 21-11.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton
- ATHLETICS: Nathan Douglas upbeat heading into make-or-break Olympic trials
- ANGLING: Littlemore ease into Supercup semi-finals
- BOXING: Darius Skop dominates in win over rival Jody Meikle
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 60s in last-over victory
- CRICKET: Dylan Driscoll stars in Oxfordshire Under 10s victory
- MOTORSPORT: Nathan Harrison recovers from penalty to move top of the standings
- LACROSSE: Oxford City to hold taster session for all abilities