Oxford Saints got back to winning ways with a 39-16 home victory over Sandwell Steelers in the National Central Division.
Having lost three games on the bounce, Saints produced a fine display.
They opened the scoring when Michael Oluwole smashed his way through for a five-yard touchdown.
But the visitors hit straight back with a score of their own, Jonathan Hayes touching down, with the extra points putting them 8-6 ahead at the end of the first quarter.
Saints started the second period strongly, Harry Carr charging over from a yard and Spencer Duffy adding the extra point.
When James Walter touc-hed down soon after, Oxford had built up a 19-8 half-time advantage.
Sandwell came out all guns blazing looking, but found themselves further behind when a breakaway run from Carr saw him make it 25-8.
Harry Brookmyre all but wrapped up victory with a touchdown in the final quarter, Ali Galbraith scoring the extra two points with a speedy run to the outside.
Dwain Haughton’s impressive 68-yard touchdown run gave the visitors a consolation score, Benjamin Bray adding the two extra points.
But Saints were to have the final word.
James Sharples delivered a precision pass to Walter, who scored his second touchdown of the game with a spectacular leap.
Saints know they will need to be at the top of their game for the next fixture, a trip to leaders Peterborough Saxons on Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United fans' chat
- The derby games are great but it's not my problem, says Michael Appleton on Swindon Town's relegation
- Quickfire Oxford United striker Conor McAleny delighted at Millwall victory
- Oxford United midfielder Josh Ruffels revels in week to remember
- Michael Appleton hails Oxford United's 'outstanding' display in victory over Millwall
- FOOTBALL: Jefferson Louis fires in-form Oxford City to third straight victory
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town and North Leigh enjoy final-day victories, but Banbury United, Wantage Town and Kidlington are beaten
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire hold on to win thriller against Cornwall
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith finishes just outside the points in Austin MotoGP
- WEEKEND RESULTS: April 22-23