MOTORSPORT: Wolff admits to uncertainty over future

Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff

First published in Sport

Susie Wolff now faces “the million dollar question” as to where her Formula 1 career goes from here.

As part of her planned programme as development driver for the Grove-based Williams team, the 31-year-old Scot completed the first practice session for tomorrow’s German Grand Prix at Hockenheim yesterday.

For one dreadful moment, though, it appeared as if the outing would again be short-lived, as was the case in first practice ahead of the British Grand Prix a fortnight ago.

On that day Wolff made history as she became the first woman for 22 years to take part in a race weekend, and only the sixth overall.

Wolff’s car stopped on track after just 20 minutes and four laps due to an engine failure.

Given a planned second bite of the cherry in Germany, with Valtteri Bottas again making way, on her first out-lap and just over a minute into the session, Wolff was seen touring.

But, unlike at Silverstone where she was forced to pull off track, she was able to coast back to the garage where the team rectified a minor electrical problem.

Wolff went on to complete 22 laps, finishing 15th on the timesheet, just a quarter of a second behind teammate Felipe Massa.

There were, though, two pitlane speeding fines in a matter of three minutes that cost her £1,580, but they were a blip on an otherwise fine display.

As to the exact nature of her next step, Wolff said: “That’s the million dollar question – what comes next?

“It’s difficult because it was only ever planned for me to do two practices one sessions this season, and that’s the second one done now.

“Of course it’s carrying on my work for the team. I’m always someone who likes to keep improving, keep moving forwards.

“That’s my aim, and that’s going to be the big fight. It’s tough, and that’s the big trouble in Formula 1, to get in the car and get more time in the car.”

Tom Newey agrees Oxford United release

Oxford Mail: Tom Newey

5:40pm Monday 26th January 2015

TOM Newey has agreed a settlement to leave Oxford United early by mutual consent.

James Roberts on target again as Oxford United beat West Brom

Oxford Mail:

4:34pm Monday 26th January 2015

JAMES Roberts scored for the second time in three days as Oxford United won 2-1 a development match at West Bromwich Albion.

Oxford United have transfer bid accepted for striker Tyrone Barnett

Oxford Mail:

12:10pm Monday 26th January 2015

OXFORD United have had a transfer fee accepted by Peterborough for striker Tyrone Barnett.

Oxford United fans' chat

Oxford Mail:

12:00pm Monday 26th January 2015

Have your say on the main talking points at Oxford United in our 60-minute interactive discussion.

VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Exeter City

Oxford Mail:

11:00am Monday 26th January 2015

WATCH the goals from Oxford United's 2-2 draw with Exeter City, where James Roberts scored a stoppage-time equaliser at the Kassam Stadium.

It was pure instinct, says Oxford United saviour James Roberts

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Monday 26th January 2015

JAMES Roberts said it was a huge relief to get off the mark in front of Oxford United’s home fans and admitted his superb equaliser was down to pure instinct.

Rowland Phillips: It was just too little, too late for London Welsh

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 26th January 2015

Rowland Phillips was disappointed and frustrated that London Welsh were unable to get their first win of the season, against Lyon, and admitted the fightback had been “too little, too late”, writes SIMON WILLIAMS.

FOOTBALL: McDonagh hat-trick boosts Thame United in easy victory

Oxford Mail: Conor McDonagh netted for North Leigh in their 2-1 defeat at Wimborne Town, which dealt a further blow to their Division 1 South & West play-off hopes

8:00am Monday 26th January 2015

CONOR McDonagh scored his first goals for Thame United with a hat-trick in a 4-1 victory over Wootton Bassett Town in the Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division at the ASM Stadium.

FOOTBALL: Oxford City crash to a heavy defeat after keeper Salva's early red card

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 26th January 2015

Goalkeeper Salva de la Cruz was sent off after just six minutes as Oxford City were beaten 3-0 at home by high-flying Barrow in Vanarama Conference North on Saturday, writes Matthew Bruce.

Overjoyed Josh Ashby had no warning of Oxford United debut

Oxford Mail: Josh Ashby

8:00am Monday 26th January 2015

Josh Ashby was grateful he was given little warning about making his senior debut for Oxford United in the 2-2 draw with Exeter City.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree