OXFORDSHIRE captain Jon Maskens believes he has his strongest team available ahead of next week’s Aegon Summer County Cup Group 5 campaign.
After back-to-back promotions, Oxon are hoping to keep their winning run going when they take to the court at West Worthing.
Although it is the highest level Oxfordshire have played at for more than ten years, Maskens is confident they can more than hold their own.
“I feel good about this year’s competition,” Maskens said.
“It will be tough as we are in as high a group as Oxfordshire’s men have reached for the last decade.
“But our team is as strong as it could possibly be – we’re only missing Tim Henman!”
Oxfordshire start against Sussex on Monday, and then take on Herefordshire & Worcestershire, Dorset, Durham & Cleveland and Buckinghamshire.
Maskens added: “The other teams will be tough so realistically we will be aiming to finish middle of our group.”
Oxfordshire squad: J Maskens (captain), J Cartledge, T Greenland, H Brown, B Calnan, S Ray, J Dawson.
- EMMA Tolson is looking to ensure Oxfordshire ladies consolidate after last year’s promotion when they play in Group 6 at Ilkley, West Yorkshire.
Oxon climbed out of the bottom division 12 months ago, and Tolson is keen that they continue to build.
“We would love to be challenging for promotion, of course, but being realistic, it’s important we stay in the division,” she said.
“It will obviously be tougher and the pressure’s on a bit, but we have a good mix, with some experience and some juniors.
“We are hopeful of doing well.”
Oxfordshire, who hand promising junior Aoife Miller a first appearance, take on Cambridgeshire, followed by Cornwall and Suffolk.
The eight-team group splits into two sections of four for the final two days.
Oxfordshire squad: E Tolson, A Simmons, P Vallima, S Marriott, A Atkins, A Miller, A Katsoulis, K Schutterlin.
- NORTH Oxford LTC host Men’s Group 4 action all week.
Latest Sport news
- Ex-Oxford United star Jamie Cook proud of career after hanging up football boots to turn attention to golf
- POINT-TO-POINT: Big names jockeys sign up for Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- ROWING: Oxford City's Josie Nash and Eilish Turner-Frick shine in Inter-Regional Championships
- ATHLETICS: Abingdon's Paul Fernandez impresses in London Marathon
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: James Walter’s double earns Oxford Saints their first victory
- ATHLETICS: Banbury Harriers win UK Youth Development League opener
- BAR BILLIARDS: Donnington Club close in on Division 1 crown
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Brookes students to host charity sevens tournament
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- HORSE RACING: Mark Bradstock thrilled with Coneygree's return to action