An adult beginners scheme has been launched in Oxfordshire.
The Tennis Xpress programme is aimed at people who have never played before, or haven’t played in a while.
During the six-week course they will be taught how to serve, rally and score.
It follows the success of the Great British Tennis Weekend.
David Reeves, from the Oxfordshire Lawn Tennis Association, said: “Just short of 500 people pre-booking activities across Saturday and Sunday, with more just turning up on the day,” he said.
“It was an excellent result for tennis in the county and hopefully get many more people playing.”
Visit tennis-xpress.co.uk to sign up for one of the courses.
Dates and venues Sat, July 5: North Oxford LTC (10am to 11.30); Aug 14: White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre, Abingdon (7-8.30pm).
Oxfordshire’s under 12 boys’ team missed reaching the national finals of the Aegon County Cup, by a narrow margin.
Needing to beat Middlesex in their final match to win Group C, Connor Ferguson, George Slater, Ollie Broadhurst and Krishan Badiani won 5-4 in a shoot-out after the sides were locked at 4-4.
However, home club Middlesex qualified for the finals after topping the table by virtue of winning two more rubbers than Oxfordshire, who finished in second place.
The Oxon team got off to a perfect start with an 8-0 win against Essex, only to go down to a surprise 6-2 defeat to Buckinghamshire.
But they bounced back with a 6-2 win over Berkshire to set up the showdown with Middlesex.
Oxfordshire under 12 girls, playing in Frinton, lost 8-0 to both Essex and Middlesex, and 6-2 to both Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.
Lara Frank and Jana Cooper-Marcos teamed up to win Oxfordshire’s only two matches.
Matilda Mutvadzic defeated Oxfordshire teammate Chloe Elliott 4-2, 4-0 to reach the quarter-finals of the national 10 & under championships at Southampton.
Mutvadzic finished eighth, while Elliott, who also qualified from their groups to the main draw, was 14th in the LTA Grade 2 event.
Oxon’s Taysie Gujral lost 4-1, 4-2 to Buckinghamshire’s Natasha Bierrum in the final of the 18 & under girls singles at the LTA Grade 4 Virgin Active Wimbledon Week tournament.
Wantage Ladies boosted their hopes of avoiding relegation from OLTA Wilson Summer League Ladies Division 1 by dumping North Oxford at the bottom with a 4-0 victory.
Ladies Division 1: Wantage 4, North Oxford 0.
Mixed Division 2: Bicester 3, Wantage 1.
Men’s Division 2: Woodstock B 0, Norham Gardens 4.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United's Callum O'Dowda makes senior Ireland debut but misses out on Euro 2016 squad
- Danny Hylton rejects Oxford United to join Luton Town
- Johnny Mullins signs for Luton Town following release by Oxford United
- Oxford United youngsters Jack Stevens and Miles Welch-Hayes sign professional contracts
- Michael Appleton to hold 'honest conversations' with Oxford United's four goalkeepers
- Oxford United to cover fewer miles in League One next season
- FOOTBALL: New manager John Brough had 'long admired' North Leigh
- FOOTBALL: Manager Enrique Guillen salutes Oxford City Lions after FA Futsal Cup triumph
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United captain Andy Gunn takes top honour at awards night
- FOOTBALL: April England fires Oxford City to Southern Region Women's League Cup title