Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: The players are determined to show their fighting spirit
- Oxford United hoping Kane Hemmings can end unlucky goalscoring record at Bolton Wanderers
- Oxford United are unfazed by away record ahead of Bolton Wanderers trip, says skipper John Lundstram
- SWIMMING: Lilia Gilbert steals show with ten-medal haul for Didcot Barramundi
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Jon Bishop's break of 45 guides Thame to victory
- BOXING: South Moreton's Gavin Lissenden defends Queensbury League title
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United