Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United's fitness concerns ease despite Johnny Mullins knock
- ICE HOCKEY: Trio aiming to hit heights after taking over at Oxford City Stars
- Oxford United will let train take the strain for Carlisle journey
- ATHLETICS: Capital show as Kate Williamson beat British Over 70s marathon record in London
- RUGBY UNION: Alan Hancock hails his Oxford Harlequins players after making Marston Ferry Road a fortress
- AUNT SALLY: In-form Oracle stay in touch with whitewash victory
- RUGBY UNION: Blue Boar enjoy tour of Ireland
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore to celebrate 40th anniversary
- MARTIAL ARTS: Oxfordshire stars in the medals at European Championships
- RUGBY UNION: Henley Vultures swoop to win Oxfordshire Veterans