Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands