Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Joe Skarz and Ryan Taylor thrilled to return injury-free for Oxford United's pre-season
- EFL Trophy controversy rumbles on with under 23 teams and shoot-outs for draws
- BOWLS: Carterton suffer blow to Oxfordshire League Division 1 title hopes
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire teenager Alexis Canter handed junior Wimbledon wildcard
- ATHLETICS: Jade O'Dowda impresses to go top of under 17 heptathlon rankings
- BOWLS: Oxfordshire weather storm to beat Surrey in Middleton Cup
- RUBGY UNION: Theo Brophy-Clews relishing steep learning curve
- ATHLETICS: Paul Fernandez wins Thame 10k
- Fixture changes for Oxford United include derby at Swindon Town
- WATCH: Oxford United players undergo gruelling tests on first day of pre-season