Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- UPDATES - Southend United v Oxford United
- Oxford United reduce ticket prices for Emirates FA Cup replay
- Oxford United face trip to Championship strugglers if they win FA Cup replay
- Aaron Martin determined low Checkatrade Trophy turn-out is not a distraction for Oxford United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor and Henley enjoy victories in National League 2 South
- GOLF: When Supergran met Superman at North Oxford
- DARTS: Democrats upset Kings Arms in ODDA League
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh boss John Brough out to end former club Hereford's long run
- HOCKEY: Jack Biggs hat-trick helps Oxford Hawks rout Banbury in derby clash
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury win, but Oxford Harlequins, Witney and Grove are beaten