Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United's late FA Cup defeat is 'sickener' - Chris Maguire
- Middlesbrough 3 (Leadbitter 26, Gestede 34, Stuani 86), Oxford United 2 (Maguire 63, Martinez 65)
- UPDATES - Middlesbrough v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re not afraid of Boro and relishing a bumper away day
- Chris Maguire hopes Oxford United can grab the FA Cup headlines against Middlesbrough
- Oxford United players excited by enormous following for FA Cup tie, says Ryan Ledson
- ICE HOCKEY: Ben Payne back as Oxford City Stars seek double over Milton Keynes Thunder
- Bream come to top for Doug Robinson in Littlemore's Chandlers Cup
- SWIMMING: Formidable City of Oxford make it five county titles in a row
- CRICKET: James Fitzjohn excited by Horspath challenge as he moves from Cumnor