Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United's FA Cup tie with Merstham to be televised
- Rob Hall in line for Oxford United playing return next week
- GOLF: Stunning round sees Eddie Pepperell in share of second at Portugal Masters
- Joe Skarz has 50/50 chance of Oxford United recall at Port Vale this weekend
- Patient Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley eager for Oxford United chance
- SPORTS AWARDS: Nominate your favourite
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell starts fight to retain Tour card
- AUNT SALLY: Rampant Rampton lands first Oxford League singles crown
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars are second best after mixed double-header
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University winger Tom Stileman looking forward to Croatia test