Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Rochdale 0, Oxford United 4 (Johnson 18, Hall 29, Taylor 53, Ledson 73)
- UPDATES - Rochdale v Oxford United
- Oxford United handed boost with key Rochdale defender serving suspension
- Marvin Johnson looking for more of the same when Oxford United visit Rochdale
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re recharged for busy league and cup schedule
- SWIMMING: David Murphy delivers masterclass to set more records at Arena Pro Swim Series
- TABLE TENNIS: Bicester squeeze past Holton in Aubrey Hughes Handicap Shield opener
- ANGLING: Alan Steele clinches Victory Cup
- INDOOR CRICKET: Chipping Norton and Ruscote title race goes down to the wire
- ON CUE: Q Zone go top of Gentworks Oxford & District Snooker League