Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala
- ICE SKATING: Oxford skaters waltz off with medals at national championships