Oxfordshire boosted their qualification hopes with a dramatic 12-run victory over Wales at Port Talbot Town in Division 4 of the ECB 50-Plus Championship.
Wales looked set to chase down Oxon’s 222-8 when Mike Hayden and Stephen Powell propelled them to 175-3, but the visitors fought back in style.
Although they proved expensive, Paul Hemming (3-29), Kevin Taylor (2-49) and Alec Cunningham (1-34) grabbed the decisive wickets.
But in such a close game, Oxon’s conceding of just seven extras to Wales’s 25 proved key.
Darryl Woods (65) and Hemming (43) were the mainstays of the visitors’ 222-8 from 45 overs, which saw Taylor dismissed from the final ball, delivered by Mike Lloyd.
Mickey Thomas, Steve Roberts and Woods bowled tightly at the start of Wales’ reply, but Hayden and Powell’s 130-run stand meant they remained favourites until losing six wickets for 25 runs.
One win from their remaining two matches should be enough for Oxon to make the knock-out stages.
Latest Sport news
- Ryan Ledson joins Oxford United from Everton for undisclosed fee
- Andy Triggs Hodge bows out on a high to concentrate on family
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Oxford Saints smash Cornish Sharks to land play-off semi-final slot
- CRICKET: Sussex paceman Tymal Mills given green light to play for Oxfordshire
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's Jade O'Dowda sets sights on Tokyo 2020 Olympics after defending national heptathlon title
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire captain Luke Ryan reflects on testing minor counties campaign
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire paceman Chad Keegan retires
- RACING: Hughie Morrison delighted after Nearly Caught triumphs in France
- BAR BILLIARDS: Bletchingdon beat Gladiators for first win of season
- BOWLS: Alan Ley leads Oxfordshire to tight win over Buckinghamshire