JUSTIN Burnell praised new assistant coach Matthew Ferguson’s scrum knowledge as London Welsh announced his addition to their backroom team.
Former Bristol, Cardiff and England Women’s coach Ferguson was unveiled yesterday as the Exiles began pre-season training for their return to the Aviva Premiership.
He joins Welsh’s existing set-up of head coach Burnell, plus assistants Gordon Ross and Ollie Smith.
Burnell said: “We’re very fortunate to be able to add Matthew to our existing and excellent coaching staff.
“It’s great to have him on board.
“Matt’s knowledge of the scrum is second to none and he has good links within the RFU system with Graham Rowntree.
“After the excellent work done with our scrum last season by Darren Crompton, the role of a technical person to work primarily with the scrum is of the utmost importance, as we know how key an area that will be in the Aviva Premiership.”
Latest Sport news
- Dealing with Firoz Kassam has been a weakness of mine, admits Oxford United chairman Darryl Eales
- Oxford United strategy is based on one player sale a summer, says Darryl Eales
- CRICKET: Warborough & Shillingford bowler Tim Chamberlain takes all ten wickets
- FOOTBALL: St Edmunds Under 18s bow out with double celebration
- AUNT SALLY: Roger Goodall and Pip Goulding lead New Club's comeback victory
- FOOTBALL: Summertown crowned champions after one defeat all season
- CRICKET: Witney Swifts flying high after George Seacole's all-round show
- CRICKET: Horspath slide to defeat as Waqar Mohammed takes five
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener