JUSTIN Burnell praised new assistant coach Matthew Ferguson’s scrum knowledge as London Welsh announced his addition to their backroom team.
Former Bristol, Cardiff and England Women’s coach Ferguson was unveiled yesterday as the Exiles began pre-season training for their return to the Aviva Premiership.
He joins Welsh’s existing set-up of head coach Burnell, plus assistants Gordon Ross and Ollie Smith.
Burnell said: “We’re very fortunate to be able to add Matthew to our existing and excellent coaching staff.
“It’s great to have him on board.
“Matt’s knowledge of the scrum is second to none and he has good links within the RFU system with Graham Rowntree.
“After the excellent work done with our scrum last season by Darren Crompton, the role of a technical person to work primarily with the scrum is of the utmost importance, as we know how key an area that will be in the Aviva Premiership.”
Latest Sport news
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers