JUSTIN Burnell praised new assistant coach Matthew Ferguson’s scrum knowledge as London Welsh announced his addition to their backroom team.
Former Bristol, Cardiff and England Women’s coach Ferguson was unveiled yesterday as the Exiles began pre-season training for their return to the Aviva Premiership.
He joins Welsh’s existing set-up of head coach Burnell, plus assistants Gordon Ross and Ollie Smith.
Burnell said: “We’re very fortunate to be able to add Matthew to our existing and excellent coaching staff.
“It’s great to have him on board.
“Matt’s knowledge of the scrum is second to none and he has good links within the RFU system with Graham Rowntree.
“After the excellent work done with our scrum last season by Darren Crompton, the role of a technical person to work primarily with the scrum is of the utmost importance, as we know how key an area that will be in the Aviva Premiership.”
Latest Sport news
- Kemar Roofe on a mission to make Oxford United starting line-up
- Danny Hylton happy to wait on contract talks until Oxford United's future is decided
- Composure will be key for Oxford United in sprint for the finish, says Michael Appleton
- Gareth Ainsworth aiming for Wycombe to make more memories at Oxford United's expense
- Michael Appleton puts faith in Oxford United injured players to make right call
- Oxford United goalkeeper Benji Buchel ready for Wycombe bombardment
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton returns to the saddle at Kingston Blount
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire youngsters reach national finals after dramatic shoot-out
- CRICKET: No knee-jerk reactions for Oxfordshire, says captain Luke Ryan
- CRICKET: Lloyd Sabin ready to lead Banbury in Division 1 of Home Counties Premier League