Tony Fernandes has dropped a broad hint he is prepared to bail out of the Leafield-based Caterham team.
It’s understood Fernandes has already sold the F1 arm of his operation, ending a difficult four-and-half-year journey.
Although no details have officially been announced, in finally opting to close his account on Twitter yesterday, Fernandes said: “F1 hasn’t worked. Love Caterham cars.”
Fernandes made clear at the start of the season, at the announcement of his driver line-up car for this year in January at Caterham’s base, he was threatening to pull the plug.
His hopes have hit the buffers, however, with Caterham falling further behind back-of-the-grid rival Marussia, with the Banbury outfit ending their points drought in Monaco this year.
Caterham, meanwhile, have gone 85 races since their arrival in F1 in 2010 without collecting a single point, and now Fernandes has had enough.
Meanwhile, Oxford's Jason Plato is hoping a return to his ‘home’ track will inspire him to return to the top step of the rostrum in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship at Croft tomorrow.
The Newcastle-born driver is no stranger to the north Yorkshire venue, having raced at the circuit 40 times in the BTCC alone and with four wins to his name.
Plato, who is fifth in the drivers’ standings for the MG KX Clubcard Fuel Save team, said: “Croft is a spiritual home circuit for me. I’ve been lucky to get good support there in the past.
“It’s great to see so many fans at any race, but at Croft they turn up in their tens of thousands.”
Latest Sport news
- TWICKENHAM: Matt Goode to play through the pain as Oxfordshire eye historic victory
- BOXING: Joe Gaul and Keenan Dallimore taste success
- More details on OxVox stadium bid - but talks 'on hold' due to U's takeover interest
- Liam Sercombe a step closer to Oxford United departure
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars part company with head coach Simon Anderson
- POINT-TO-POINT: Lisa O'Neill backing Ireland to stop the rot in Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City reveal bumper pre-season programme
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell eyes putting improvements ahead of US Open qualifying
- TENNIS: North Oxford extend super streak to keep promotion push on track
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League preview