London Welsh head Justin Burnell has tipped former England lock Dean Schofield to make a big impact at the club.
Schofield, 35, was yesterday announced as Welsh’s 19th signing of the summer as they build towards their Aviva Premiership return.
“Dean is a big man with a wealth of experience from a technical and tactical aspect of the game, which is very important for us, and his leadership quality speaks for itself,” said Burnell.
Schofield has signed from Worcester Warriors, whom he joined from French giants RC Toulon in 2012.
He tweeted: “Looking forward to meeting everyone at my new club @LondonWelshRFC on Monday #freshstart #newchallenge”
The 6ft 6in 20st second row earned two England caps while a Sale Sharks player in 2007.
He won the Premiership title with Sale in 2006, having helped them land the European Challenge Cup at the Kassam Stadium in 2005.
Schofield has 191 Premiership appearances and has captained Sale and Worcester.
Latest Sport news
- Reaction as Oxford United's Checkatrade Trophy tie is postponed minutes before kick-off
- Oxford United v Bradford City off due to frozen pitch
- Toni Martinez excited by prospect of making Oxford United debut in FA Cup clash with Newcastle United
- Silence from Firoz Kassam as stadium talks continue
- Ryan Taylor: Wembley impossible to ignore for Oxford United in Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final
- DARTS: Oxfordshire close in on promotion race with big win over Gwent
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks are held to draw after Kyle Barnes's brace gives them flying start
- FOOTBALL: Ricky Johnson out as Banbury United take on play-off rivals Chesham United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor return to the top of National League 2 South as Basil Strang stars in Redingensians win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury unbeaten run ends in Newbury defeat