Report this comment
  • "sounds like a promising development on the surface so lets hope that it progresses favourably and the necessary finances are available . this period of uncertainty may well have an effect on player recruitment so lets hope it is resolved as quickly as possible. and i think that thanks are due to ian leneghan for his considerable financial support."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

First published in Sport Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

Greens wants tax hike to stop disabled facing cuts

Oxford Mail: David Williams leader of the Green Group on Oxfordshire County Council

6:00am Thursday 29th January 2015

COUNCIL tax should be raised by an average of more than £60 a year to stop cuts to disability services, the Green Party has said.

Pothole payouts in Oxfordshire double

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE amount of compensation claimed by Oxfordshire drivers for pothole damage more than doubled in two years.

A40 partially blocked this evening - by 50-60 sheep

Oxford Mail:

10:21pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE A40 is partially blocked at Wolvercote by up to 60 loose sheep.

Churchill’s memorial man still chiselling away after 66 years

Oxford Mail:

8:43pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill’s funeral will be marked across Oxfordshire tomorrow.

Girl slept with accused sex attacker when she was aged 14, court told

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:39pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

A GIRL has claimed she had sex with a young man accused of grooming and exploiting teenagers in Banbury when she was 14 years old.

Snake fossil finds spark rethink of their history

Oxford Mail:

8:33pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

SNAKE fossils found in Oxfordshire have forced scientists to re-write their evolutionary story.

UPDATE:Services back to normal on Cotswold Line between Oxford and Worcester after person hit by train

Oxford Mail: A First Great Western High Speed Train

4:30pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

Services have returned to normal between Oxford, Worcester and Hereford this afternoon after a person was hit by a train between Moreton-in-Marsh and Kingham.

No snow for Oxford again but chance of white morning in Chipping Norton and Banbury

Oxford Mail: Pictures of snow from across the county

6:45pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

SNOW is no longer expected to hit the majority of the county tomorrow morning.

Travellers leave Botley Road Waitrose site after being handed eviction notice

Oxford Mail:

5:52pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

Travellers left the Waitrose site in Botley Road today after being handed a 24-hour eviction notice.

Jayden trial: Jury in Jake Blakeley case sent home until Tuesday

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

5:49pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE jury in the trial of Jake Blakeley will continue considering its verdict on Tuesday.

UPDATE: Tesco Metro in Bicester to shut wih 56 job losses after firm announces national closures

Oxford Mail:

1:19pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

Tesco Metro in Bicester will close on April 4.

27 dead in crashes in Oxfordshire last year

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

12:43pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

TWENTY-seven people died in traffic collisions across the county last year.

Last Didcot Power Station towers to be demolished next year

Oxford Mail:

12:00pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE three remaining cooling towers at the former Didcot A power station will be demolished in 2016, according to energy company RWE npower.

Man left with cut across face after being attacked in Banbury

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

11:51am Wednesday 28th January 2015

A MAN is in hospital after he was cut across the face by a stranger, police said.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree