OXFORDSHIRE decathlete Osman Muskwe will compete for Great Britain & Northern Ireland in the European Cup Combined Events Super League.
The 28-year-old soldier, who is based at Abingdon’s Dalton Barracks, is in an eight-strong team for the event in Torun, Poland on July 5 and 6.
This is Zimbabawe-born Muskwe’s second call-up, but will be the first time he pulls on a GB vest.
“I kind of knew I had a chance of being selected, but it was a great feeling,” he said.
“I was called up last year, but had to pull out due to problems with my passport.
“I just want to go out there and do my best and pick up as many points as I can, hopefully getting a personal best.
“Call-ups like this are the reason why you train.
“You want to get to the highest level possible.
“I’m hoping this is going to be the first of many call-ups.”
Muskwe, who won the English decathlon title in 2013, switched clubs from Radley to Windsor, Slough, Eton & Hounslow this season.
His form has been solid, having come within 11 points of his best with a 7,315 points score in Herentals, Belgium on June 1.
Muskwe has also extended his discus mark to 50.52m, which bodes well.
“My training is going well,” he added. “I have been producing good results and am feeling good.
“Over 50m in the discus is the distance that people want to achieve and that made me really happy to achieve it.
“It was a good indication that my training is going well.”
Muskwe is ranked tenth in Britain this year, but believes there is plenty of improvement to come.
“Since the call-up, I have just been sharpening everything leading up to Poland,” he said.
“Hopefully, I will stay injury-free and we’ll see how it goes.
“I am still improving and I’m still quite new to the sport.
“I hope to get better and better.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat