ALEX Wills, from Harewood Downs, won the prestigious Frilford Heath Gold Medal by two shots, with home club player Ashley Walton finishing a close third.
Wills won the 65th staging of this event, which attracted a field of 108 top amateurs, with a two-under-par aggregate 139 on Frilford’s Red & Green courses.
At the halfway point, Paul Maunder, from West Middlesex, was the leader with a three-under-par 66 on the shorter Green Course, while Jack Haines, from Gerrards Cross, led the Red Course with a one-over 73.
Maunder failed to retain his morning form, while Frilford’s Walton, a former Berks, Bucks & Oxon champion, shot 71 to record the best Red Course score of the day.
However, it was Wills, with rounds of 67 on the Green and 72 on the Red, who walked off with the coveted Gold Medal.
Second place went to Welshman Daniel Farmer (Tenby) with 141, with Walton a shot further back on 142.
* AMATEUR David Burrows and his North Oxford professional Lee Jackson have qualified for the regional final of the Lombard Trophy.
This will be held at Lambourne GC, Bucks, on Monday, July 21, when they will compete against 70 other clubs for the chance to secure one of 16 spots available for the 36-hole grand final at Gleneagles on September 3-4.
* OXFORD City went top of Division 2 in the Shaw Gibbs Oxfordshire Foursomes League with a 3-0 whitewash at home to Chiltern Forest.
City’s biggest win came from Gavin Soave and Craig Marriott, 6 & 5 over Mark Williams and Elliott Lloyd.
Previous leaders Tadmarton Heath slipped to a 2-1 loss away to Studley Wood.
SHAW GIBBS OXFORDSHIRE FOURSOMES LEAGUE.
Section 2 Oxford City 3 (4pts), Chiltern Forest 0 (Oxford City first): M Hall & P Higgins bt J Taylor & N Trew Smith 3 & 2; G Soave & C Marriott bt M Williams & E Lloyd 6 & 5; G Hoult & R Ferguson bt P Marden & S Liecfare 4 & 2.
Studley Wood 2 (3), Tadmarton Heath 1 (1) (Studley Wood first): S Bulman & N Lawton bt L Robinson & F Penniston 3 & 1; J Fathers & N Mortimer bt S Hallam & J Smith 1 hole; J McClure & G Stevens lost to I Manning & L Washbourne 5 & 3.
Men’s match: North Oxford 3½, Stowe 1½.
Seniors match: Stowe 5, North Oxford 1.
Ladies Stableford: 1 W Murray 37pts, 2 M Martindale 33, 3 C Snow 32.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United striker James Roberts joins Stalybridge Celtic on loan
- Oxford United boss delivers Wembley warning to his players ahead of Chesterfield trip
- Time for Oxford United to take big chance and make our mark – Michael Appleton
- I've been a nightmare to live with, says Oxford United defender Joe Skarz
- Wes Thomas keeps his spirits up on long road to Oxford United recovery
- Gary Caldwell: Flexible Chesterfield are a threat to Oxford United
- From the boardroom column: Oxford United are making waves across the world
- FOOTBALL: Kidlington reveal ground renovation plans
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins out to maintain their great escape bid
- FOOTBAL: Boss praises Lee Henderson as Oxford City tighten up at the back