SOUTH EAST REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
CITY of Oxford’s Callum Smart is ranked No 1 in Great Britain following his performance in the regional age group championships at Crawley.
Smart came second in the 13-year-old 200m breastroke, with a time of 2mins 38.37secs.
But Smart is ranked first in Britain for his age group because the winner will turn 14 before the national championships on August 3. In the same race, Smart’s City clubmate Connor Bryan bagged a bronze with a national qualifying time (NQT) of 2.39.03.
This was a second medal for Bryan, who also came third in the 13-year-old 100m race, in a NQT of 1.15.55.
Theo Cooke claimed a fourth breastroke medal for the City boys, with a silver in the 11-year-old 100m event with a time of 1.26.31.
For City’s girls, Delphine Little, 11, took bronzes in the 100m butterfly (1.18.01) and 100m backstroke (1.14.17).
Further success came in the 14-years-and-under 4x100m medley relay where City’s in-form team of Ellie Millington, Maia Little, Emily Nisbet and Olivia Webster won silver in an NQT of 4.34.24.
Abingdon Vale’s Emily Ford excelled with three medals.
The 12-year-old won a silver in the 100m backstroke in a time of 1.10.04.
She also took bronzes in the 100m butterfly (1.10.94) and in the 200m backstroke (2.33.64).
Clubmate Daniel McNamara, 11, shone with bronzes in the 200m freestyle (2.25.15) and the 100m backstroke (1.16.10).
Abingdon’s Lottie James and Max Bolcato took part in their first regional champs achieving long course personal best times.
There were also some fine swims from Oliver Hodgson and Luke Wilby.
Latest Sport news
- Curtis Nelson calls on Oxford United to learn from Port Vale draw
- Oxford United defender Joe Skarz happy with return from injury but frustrated with Port Vale draw
- There are some good signs, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton after 2-2 draw at Port Vale
- FOOTBALL: Skipper Scott Davies is sent off as depleted Oxford City hold on for point
- Weekend results: October 22 & 23
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United's fine unbeaten run is ended at hands of Frome
- FOOTBALL: Last-gasp Jordan Graham goal earns Didcot Town a point at Hereford
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith pleased with points haul at Phillip Island
- MOTORSPORT: Felipe Massa lands top ten spot for Williams at US Grand Prix
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Port Vale