HORSPATH Hammers secured a 93-84 home victory over Poole Comets on their return to Elite League action after a five-week break.
Although both sides were below full strength, Hammers stayed unbeaten, but were pushed hard, leading by just two points after five heats.
Zac Payne and Mark Boaler claimed Horspath’s first 7-3 of the day over Greg Glucowsky and Ben Donuhue.
Another 7-3 in heat 10 from Boaler and Wayne Hutt put Horspath 55-45 ahead.
The visitors struck back in heat 12 when Glucowsky and Donuhue picked up a 6-4 win.
Horspath always had their noses ahead, but Poole managed a 6-3 via from Aaron Morgan and Glucowsky in the penultimate heat.
Horspath 93 (M Boaler 15, L Nowaki 14+2, L Osborne 14, Z Payne 13+2, W Hutt 13+2, C Timms 9, A Johnson 8+1, L.Osborne 7).
Poole 84 (G Wheeler 18+1, G Glucowsky 18, D Hook 15, A Moorgan 7+1, W Bristow 7, H Chant 7, D Murphy 6+1, B Donuhue 5).
POOLE bounced back to win the combination match 91-73.
Horspath’s Zac Payne and Andy Johnson plus Poole’s Will Bristow and Hayden Chant doubled up, so both teams incurred penalties.
Young Horspath riders Nathan Loveridge and Owen Johnson impressed, but they could not stop their side losing by 18 points.
Horspath 73 (A Johnson 16, J Richardson 13, Z Payne 12, G Horsley 7, N Loveridge 5, O Johnson 5).
Poole 91 (L Arms 14+1, C Albin 14+1, P Chant 12+2, H Chant 11, W Bristow 10, J Brings 9+2).
Latest Sport news
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands