HORSPATH Hammers secured a 93-84 home victory over Poole Comets on their return to Elite League action after a five-week break.
Although both sides were below full strength, Hammers stayed unbeaten, but were pushed hard, leading by just two points after five heats.
Zac Payne and Mark Boaler claimed Horspath’s first 7-3 of the day over Greg Glucowsky and Ben Donuhue.
Another 7-3 in heat 10 from Boaler and Wayne Hutt put Horspath 55-45 ahead.
The visitors struck back in heat 12 when Glucowsky and Donuhue picked up a 6-4 win.
Horspath always had their noses ahead, but Poole managed a 6-3 via from Aaron Morgan and Glucowsky in the penultimate heat.
Horspath 93 (M Boaler 15, L Nowaki 14+2, L Osborne 14, Z Payne 13+2, W Hutt 13+2, C Timms 9, A Johnson 8+1, L.Osborne 7).
Poole 84 (G Wheeler 18+1, G Glucowsky 18, D Hook 15, A Moorgan 7+1, W Bristow 7, H Chant 7, D Murphy 6+1, B Donuhue 5).
POOLE bounced back to win the combination match 91-73.
Horspath’s Zac Payne and Andy Johnson plus Poole’s Will Bristow and Hayden Chant doubled up, so both teams incurred penalties.
Young Horspath riders Nathan Loveridge and Owen Johnson impressed, but they could not stop their side losing by 18 points.
Horspath 73 (A Johnson 16, J Richardson 13, Z Payne 12, G Horsley 7, N Loveridge 5, O Johnson 5).
Poole 91 (L Arms 14+1, C Albin 14+1, P Chant 12+2, H Chant 11, W Bristow 10, J Brings 9+2).
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's win at Millwall
- Millwall 0, Oxford United 3 (McAleny 6 & 8, Ruffels 71)
- UPDATES - Millwall v Oxford United
- Joe Rothwell hoping to silence Millwall fans in Oxford United's last away match of season
- Oxford United must be ready to roll up sleeves and battle for everything at Millwall, says boss Michael Appleton
- SHOW JUMPING: Bicester-based girls shine in leading pony show
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We've enjoyed some great moments on our away days this season
- MOTORSPORT: Oxford's Matt Chapman delighted to score points on his debut
- MOTORSPORT: KTM are on learning curve in United States admits Oxfordshire's Bradley Smith
- BILLIARDS: Lewis Moss & Connor Jones win pairs final